THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    If you could have only one varmit rifle it would be?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could have only one varmit rifle it would be?
 Login/Join

<DLS>
posted
One rifle for varmints only. Then it would be a 22-250. It will do everything the 223 can plus more.

Deer, pigs, elk, moose, grizzly, space aliens, I would choose a different cartridge. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
quote:
22-250- a nice savage in a heavy barrel. spend $$ saved on gun for better glass.
That says it for me,I've only got two at this point so I need to find another one soon [Wink] A nice 4.5x14x44 AO Zeiss Conquest for a scope suggestion. [Eek!]

woods

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Lee in OH>
posted
Just one huh, it would be my 22BR. It's on a Remington 700 action and it's cleanly killed many prairie dogs, a few groundhogs, a raccoon and two doe whitetail (head shots). Fast, accurate as all get out, and efficient with little recoil. Yep, I'll take my 22BR.

Factory cartridge, .223 or .22-250. Whichever was on sale that day!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 K-Hornet

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plan and simple, full custom sako vixen in 223ai.
McMillan fibergrain stock
Hart barrel 24 inches, 1X9 twist, for the heavier 69 grainers.
Leupold 4.5x14.

I went through this decision making process last year, this what I ended up with and I haven't regretted it the least and wouldn't do anything different.

Doc

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Dr. Michael:

What velocity is that rig giving you?

SSCoyote:

Any idea what velocity Kindler's 30 grain gold will achieve in the .17 Rem?

Thanks,

Jordan

posted Hide Post
Oh I would have to say the 220 Swift.

I have owned one for well over 25 years. This is it's third barrel on it and I have shot anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 rounds from each barrel before groups started to decline.

Excellent varmint round. Extremely fast, flat and lethal on hogs. I shoot somewhere around 400 hogs a year with this gun and it has never failed on me. Just rebarreled it last month with a new Kreiger cryo dipped 1.35" X 30".

Just breaking it in now.

Posts: 6 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote