THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    If you could have only one varmit rifle it would be?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could have only one varmit rifle it would be?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I am in the market for a new varmit rifle mostly chucks & if lucky a coyote. I have it narrowed down to two 223 or 22-250 if this was your only choise which would you chouse?

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the sad day came where I could have only one varmint rifle it would be the 22/250. It will do everything the 223 can and much more. Those chucks are thick skinned and from experience the 22/250 will put a good hole in one.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250, Like the man said, it will do everything the .223 will do and more.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with .223 unless I did a lot of chuck shooting. Cheaper shells, and I would assume under heavy shooting conditions longer barrel life. Even if presented the opportunity for chucks, I would still get a .223 and then I might carry the 06 if needed for the extra range. The .223 you can find excellent varmint rounds cheaply over the counter. Of the .22-250s I know of they are light contour barrels and get hot quick and they shoot the heaviest bullets best, and those get higher priced pretty quick.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
<pa hog sniper>
posted
Have you thought about the .243 or 6mm Rem? You can load 55 gn Nosler BT or 58 gn V-MAX for the speed and lighter recoil or load the heavier bullets for longer range and better wind bucking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if I could only pick between the .223 or .22-250 for general varminting it would be the .17 Rem. with 30 gr. bullets.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If only one...22-250 w/55 grain bullets like Ballistic Tip or Sierra Spitzer flat base.

I do have more than one and I really like the 223 Ackley Improved w/50 grain Sierra BlitzKing for small varmints and a bit harder bullet for coyote...like the 55 grain flat base bullets from Sierra, Speer, Hornaday from a couple of decades ago.

I have recently obtained an AR15 type rifle w/floated barrel for coyote, 1in9 twist and a batch of 64 grain Power Point Winchester factory ammo to test drive.

I like to have two types of bullet performance, highly frangable for small varmints and a harder bullet for coyote size critters.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I'd take the .243 Winchester, in a sporter barreled rifle, 22 to 24 inches... And a 3 to 9 scope, or maybe a 4 to 12, but no higher...

Dan

posted Hide Post
The .22-250 is a fine 'chuck & coyote cartridge, but the .243 beats it by a fair margin, plus it's legal for whitetails.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good points above. Another factor is the noise of the guns report. I have done most of my woodchuck hunting in NY in fact as it's only an hours drive from here. You will be on farms where people live and the boom of a 243 is quite loud.

Depending on your present battery and plans for it I would pick a 22-250 and load it light for shots under 200 yards. If you get on a back lot then you can shoot away with the full charge 55 gr loads.

Now if you don't have a decent deer rifle now there is no question but to buy a sporter in 243 and make it do.

Either way these are not wrong answers. If you favor one over the other you can always sell it.

I started with a .222Rem and got a lot of chucks with it by hunting them up. Later when I started hunting with "buddies" it got competative and when it was my turn to shoot I was offered the 22-250 as it was kind of far! You don't want to hear that and there are not many chucks left any way therefore the 223 is not necessary for it's cheap ammo.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Colt CAR-15. Accurate and no reloading. Ultra quick follow ups too!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be a .223 for me because I shoot a lot and the 223 is very affordable to reload or buy ammo for and it is a pretty decent round as well,accurate,decent performance and no recoil.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why only one? Life has too many stresses otherwise to have to deal with problems like that. I have a sporter weight 22-250 and a heavy barreled 22-250; I have a .223 in Rem classic and a .223 in an old model 788 that spends a lot of time bounceing around behind the seat of my truck. I buy bulk bullets of Rem or Horn by the 1000s. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, only one varmint rifle? How awfull would that be?

Having shot lots of varmints with such things as the 17 Remington, .223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 6mm Remington, 25-06 Remington, and a host of wildcats; the standout cartridge just has to be the 22-250! Hands down! Easy to find good loads for, plenty of reach for long shots, plenty of power for coyotes, etc. etc.

I must like them pretty well, there are three sitting here in my safe. Matter of fact, my dad and I took a couple of 22-250's out just yesterday and killed over a 100 ground squirrels.
As much as I hate living in CA, there are some good things about it, where else in the country can you get that kind of varmint shooting in Jan??

R F [Big Grin]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
223Ackley............

posted Hide Post
I would buy 220 swift. I have a ruger varmiter (1976) and it still shoots 1/4 min at100. use 50gr. v-max at 4000 fps. Keep shooting

Posts: 4 | Location: lyndonville, | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22-250 or the .243.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to use the rifle as my "fur gun",one I'd use to shoot coyotes for there hides I'd pick the .223.You get smaller holes that are easier to stitch up.Lots of experts will argue "ballistic table charts"about the 22/250 being superior at long range.See if they've shot 400 or 500 coyotes for fur.In Montana the wind almost always blows and the coyotes were coming through sagebrush or greasewood.It makes it hard to get a 400 yd shot.I tried to kill them when they got to 200 yds.The .223 shines at this.I have never shot chucks so I don't know about them.Sorry to get so preachy.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
definitely a .243- everything from 55grn to 100grn. bullets- as many choices as there are for the .30cal. If it's windy at all the 70grn. will blow away any .224 bullet any day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250- a nice savage in a heavy barrel. spend $$ saved on gun for better glass.

Posts: 26 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40X 220 Swift with the 8.5-25 LRT Leupold.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any of you guys are getting Todd Kindler's magazine, "Small Caliber News", you may remember some of Blaine Eddy's articles on coyote hunting. He kills over 100 dogs a season now, and still uses the .17 caliber in various configuratiions. Kindler just presented the shooting public with a new heavy .17 caliber bullet with a "high" B.C.-- the 30 gr Gold. Just spoke to Blaine a couple days ago and he's using a wildcatted 17 PPC, and is getting 4000 f.p.s. out of a 24" barrel with this 30 Gold, and made several kills beyond 500 yds. with his rig (with the help of a LRF, of course). In fact he took one at 640 some yds., and he told me the dog dropped in his tracks!!?? Just some food for thought. Another article in the latest SCN detailed the building of a .17 Predator (Improved .17 Rem.), in which the author detailed velocities >4000 f.p.s.

<Frank>
posted
I could never have just one varmint gun. I have killed hundred's of chucks with a 17 hornet 20gr V-Max from ranges of 100 to 320 yards. Only one chuck made it back into his hole and I hooked him out with a garden hose and a hook, dead he was. Killed many with 22-250AI more than a handfull got away, so for ranges out to 300yrds the 17 hornet kills better for me. The 22-250AI kills better at longer ranges. Chucks die faster with light fast bullets. The farmers never complain when I shoot the hornet near the barns. Matter of fact he will only let me shoot behind his milking cow barn cause the cows don't panic with the mild report of the 17 hornet. This year shot a new 223 TIKKA 40grn V-Max 52 chucks killed, no chuck escaped.

<Reloader66>
posted
The 243 shooting the 65 grain FBHP bullet is hard to beat on any varmint you care to take. I also like the 22-250 with the 60 grain FBHP bullet but the 243 holds the edge on killing power and range. Sometimes I take em both when varmint hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of the man who only shoots one rifle.... He probably knows how to shoot it!!

Wish I was the first to say that

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see everyone talking about the 22-250 like it was sent by God, for the sole perpose of being the only coyote/predator cartridge to consider. Well now that I've made the 22-250 lovers mad lets talk about another option that the died in the wool old timers don't want to talk about.

Yes, I'm talking about a fairly new cartridge, when I say new I mean new to the masses, the often overlooked 20's and there are several new ones out that I have only read about.
However I do own 2 of the 20's and have had great success with both. The first is my 20t-n-t,
its a 17rem necked up to 20 cal. and will push a 36grn Berger bullet over 4100fps. My pet load is 24.0 grns of H4198/rem 7 1/2 primer, IMI brass and the Berger 36grn molly coated bullet. this combo out of my gun(Sako 1957 made slicked and SS XX Douglas 26" #6 taper 1/12 twist barrel) will spit a pill out at 4054fps and is as accurate as the shooter, it will put them through the same hole if you can hold it there.
The seccond and my best coyote gun ever, is the Tact20, that cartridge is based on the .223 case necked down to 20 cal. I had J. Scott McCracken build it from a rem 700 slicked up w/ss XX douglas 26" #7 taper 1/12 twist barrel and a Shalen single set trigger, the stock was cut with a panagraph fron a Howa varmeter1500 in .308. I just liked the fit and feel of that stock.
This is what I'm talking about, FACT, my Tact20 will out perform the 22-250, its flatter shooting, Has greater long range capabilitys, has greater barrel life and, this is the trick part, my Tact20 does it with 1/2 the powder and none of the recoil. The pet load that I'm shooting is 25.5 grains of H4198, rem 7 1/2 primer, IMI case spitting the 33 grain v-max out at 4300fps. Thats 1" high at 100 and 7/8" inch low at 300.

So to sum it up in a nutshell, my choice is a 20 caliber.

Smote the Yote
Slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
Seriously consider the versatility of the 243. Besides, there are a lot of excellent used 243's out on the market at good bargins.

<Reloader66>
posted
The 222 Remington cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slydog, heard and read a lot about those 20's especially the Tactical 20 (Todd Kindlers brainchild if I remember correctly). Gunsmith Greg Tannel (Gre'-Tan Rifles) was getting 4300+/_ from the V-Max, and was the closest thing to a lightning bolt on coyotes he ever used. Lee Mosher (Insight Shooting Systems--www.insightshootingsystems.com--I think)has been customizing AR uppers for years, and is now chambering the Tact 20 in his AR's and is getting velocities around 4300 f.p.s. as well. Love to try one one of these days. Should be the ultimate fur rig.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sscoyote, my father lives in brighton co. and I go there often if you would like to hook up and burn some powder let me know. I grew up in colorado and miss the country not the people(to damn many) I think that many of the hunters that use the 22-250 and 220 swift would jump over to the tact20 once they give it a try cause I'm doin the same or better with 1/2 the powder and thats big. any one who wants to hook up and see what this tact20 will do just gimmi a call or an e-mail and we'll put it to the test. seein is belivein

smote the yote
slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BossMoss:
Ok I am in the market for a new varmit rifle mostly chucks & if lucky a coyote. I have it narrowed down to two 223 or 22-250 if this was your only choise which would you chouse?

Everyone has mentioned some good cartridges here except for one. That would be the 25-06. I've used one in a Remington 700 VS for 22 years. The 25-06 can do anything the 6mm's can and more. Also it is a little more resistant to wind deflection than the 22's. It is my first choice for varmint hunting. If I can see a chuck he's in mortal danger when I have this gun with me.

As an advantage the 25-06 can also be used to hunt deer should you get the urge.

My second choice would be a 220 swift followed by the 22-250.

Joe

Posts: 1 | Location: pensacola, fl | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sscoyote has the right train of thought, Go out and spend one full seasion with the 17 rem and the 20gr vmax.You will look at predator calling in a new light.The coyotes i have shot with this combo melt in their tracks they just go to sleep, and with this set up there is almost no recoil. You get to see the whole show.

Posts: 23 | Location: canyon lake califiornia | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An accurate one would be the best one. Calibre doesn't matter as long as you can hit what you want.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted Hide Post
If I had a vote I would cast it for 22-250(700vssf)

Posts: 129 | Location: Carroll, Ohio | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My first one would be (and was) a 243, especially with the 55-60 grain bullets that are made now. Right now, for ground squirrels I bring the 243, a 223 and my 22rf. The next varmint gun will be a 22-250 to be built on a left handed Montana Rifle Co. action.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All those posts and only one person in church today! JoeZerinda! GHD (See ya'll in church) PS Only one....second choice...22-250!!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This question is a lot like asking what's the right choice in a 31 Flavor's?-- First I'd find why I only got one gun, I suspect a woman at the bottom of this (God bless em )--send her to the store for a loaf of bread , then move! just think how many toy's you can buy for 1/2 a house. ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
Out of your choices I would pick the .223 because of barrel life.But I would much rather have a 17 Rem or even a 222 Rem.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have three .223s in my safe - but if I had to choose it would be my heavy barreled 22-250 varmiter. After all Varmiter is the name for the 22-250 cartridge and there is a reason for that. Yes, you can buy cheap .223 stuff from Russia but you get what you pay for. I load a potent 22-250 using 55 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets and 4320 for about 20 cents a round. That's $200 per 1000 rounds compared to Lake City Armory.223 FMJ at $180 per 1000. I prarie dog hunt in Montana and coyote hunt wherever I can. Here in Northern Idaho the dogs are getting spooky-so some have to be taken at 300+ yards. I do that with a Sierra 110 GR HP in a 300 Win mag. I know some out there will complain about the exit hole size-yes, it is large but it is predator control not hides we are after here. We use AR-15's or mini 14's with aimpoints for close up work. Just bought a new Ruger M-77 heavy barreled varmit rifle in .223 and I will get to try it out this spring.

Posts: 1 | Location: Hayden, Idaho | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .223 due to the affordability of ammunition.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote