Notify
Tools

Barnes Varminator Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
Has anyone tried these varmint bullets?

How did they work and what speed did you push them at? Did they copper up the bore like other Barnes bullets?

Thanks

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G-I've got some last of the 65's for my 6/06 last summer but have yet to of tried them.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, Let me know how they work on coyotes when you get them going.

Snapper

Picture of JVD22250
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 50gn. HP out of my savage .22-250. They are more accurate than the 55gn. Nosler BT and the Sierra 52gn. HPBT
I don't shoot them super fast....about 3,600.
I was really impressed with them!

As for the copper fowling...I haven't noticed anything more than any other bullet.

Hope this helps!

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

posted Hide Post
I shoot the 40's in a .223 about 3600 with no problems. They are not solid copper like other Barnes bullets.

<slancey>
posted
Don't shoot the Varninator, but use the Burner VLC, which is the Varminator with the blue coating like on the XLC.
In my 22-250 I get 3900 fps with the 50 grain in a 27" barrel, and little fouling (blue coating works). Accuracy averages under 5/8".
I shot a coyote last weekend at 150 yards broadside. It dropped at the shot, no exit, except for a few small fragments, so the hide was saved. It absolutely ventilated the porcupines, jackrabbits, etc. that got in the way.
I think the jacket is pure copper, the core pure lead, not sure.

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

I'll pick up a box and try them.

Snapper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slancy--have you shot the Varminator bullet and compared the 2 face to face?

My experience with any of the other (I've not used the blue varmint bullets) Blue bullets has been anything but positive and I for one would never buy another Barnes Blue bullet.

Perhaps the blue rodent bullets is something else. Can't say one good thing about the hunt blues though.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had excellent luck w/ accuracy with the coated burners. My Ruger would shoot 3/8 to 1/2 in off the bench with them. The only problem I had was getting the blue coating in my dies. I just had to swab them out after a couple of shells. But over all the best shooting bullet out of my 22-250

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapper:
Has anyone tried these varmint bullets?

How did they work and what speed did you push them at? Did they copper up the bore like other Barnes bullets?

Thanks

IME "coppering up the bore" with the barnes bullets has been exaggerated.

IF Barnes suggestions of removing the guilding metal fouling from the bore BEFORE their bullets are fired is followed the problem is greatly reduced.

and it seems to me that the pure copper fouling from the barnes bullets seems to be easier to get out of the bore than guilding metal fouling.

FWIW I use BoreTech copper remover

I have not yet shot any of the Barnes Varmint bullets but I have shot many 270 and 30cal "old style" (non-coated pre TSX) X-bullets, and that's my take on the fouling issue

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I've shot the 50 gr. VLC out of my 22-250 and the 40 gr. VLC out of my 222 Mag. Both rifles grouped well, got great velocity, and terminal performance was as good as any plastic tip.

I've hoarded them - they're out of production.

The blue coating does get on your dies, but it's not hard to just swab it out.

I've never compared them to the Varminators, but i'm sure they compare well. It's the coating that gets you the velocity and lower barrel fouling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered some of them last night from Midway. Had hoped to get more information on this thread. I'll know in a couple of weeks they are suppose to get here on the 20th. I'm going to be loading them in my .223 with N133 so we'll see how they hold together. They should be approaching 3800fps.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both 40 and 50gr varminator bullets in my 22-250, both have shot better than the VLC's and I sure can't complain about any fouling.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 40 grain VLC burners in 221 Fire Ball,3 different 223's, and a 223AI, and they have been very accurate in everyone of them. They are highly fragile and often don't exit a solid hit on even a woodchuck. As has been mentioned above they have a lead core.
The only downside is the lower BC compared to the plastic tipped competition out there if that matters to you.