New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out with the hounds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friends and I were out with the hounds running coyotes.

We killed 4 in 5 days.

This year is tougher then most very little snow for finding fresh tracks. Also with little snow on the ground. The yotes can run anywhere.

We have some large forested areas where excessing them by vehicle is very limited.

It is nothing for the hounds to be a couple miles from the nearest road.

Normally we use 12ga's and buckshot I also carry my Ruger Mini-14 ranch for the occasion when we get lucky. They yotes might get in the habit of crossing a clear cut or powerline.

Not so much this year with no snow. Other years with lots of snow they well follow the same track or trench.

One of the guys takes all the yotes and processes them for the hides. He said this year the average is going going to be 5 to 10 dollars.

last Saturday I was checking an area for tracks about 5 miles from where my friends were.

They informed me they had one jumped. By the time I got into the chase in had already move about 5 miles from the starting point.

I said are your sure it is a yote not a wolf. The answer was we dropped them on yote track. I replied that is a long ways for a yote to run from the start. Just after that one of the others said there goes a wolf.

Wasn't a minute when a yote crossed in front of me. A kick out I was thinking.

They pulled the hounds off the wolf. Wolves tend to run a lot further and faster in one direction.

Yotes tend to circle a lot close to the started point We dropped them on the fresh yote track.

We chased the yote for another hour or so. But we had to pull the hounds off as he was getting to close to a busy high way and a lot of houses.

It is a fun way to spend a day. Also helping to reduce the coyote population.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What kind of dogs do you hunt them with? When I lived in California, some of the guys were running sight hounds (greyhounds, salukis, etc ) in the desert areas.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red bones, Blue ticks are big with the guys I hunt with.

Also a lot of crosses.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote