THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Dropped my Savage Model 12BVSS .223 last year....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropped my Savage Model 12BVSS .223 last year....
 Login/Join

posted
And dinged the stock a bit... it landed somewhat heavily on the scope also I am afraid. I didn't mess around and shoot it, just took it home and cleaned the dirt out of it.

I am in the process of stripping the finish off the stock at the moment, as I really don't care much for the yellow cast mine seemed to have. It is currently being sanded (by me, so who knows when it will get done...) but I was wondering if there is any chance I hurt the rifle? It landed in soft-ish dust dirt with small rocks in it, and the Burris bplex is now off of it and on my #1 awaiting sighting in, and testing out for a new 25-06 round.

I am wondering also if I made a good choice in this as an optic: http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-6-18x40-buckmasters-matte.html#

I liked the idea of the objective focus thingymabobber Big Grin on the side there, and the 1/8 adjusting will be nice on a rifle that used to shot (under my meathooks) 1/2 inch groups with factory junk off my pickup.

Any thoughts? Should I stop worrying so much?

Posts: 6 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
The cope is the weak part of the combination. Unless you dropped it from a high point I can't imagine that the rifle would be damaged other than cosmetically. Disassemble it and look for damaged parts. Put it back together and check for function. Clear the barrel and take it out and shoot it. Is there a specific part of the rifle that appears damaged?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!