THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Switching barrels / lose accuracy ???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switching barrels / lose accuracy ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
I bought a 12FLV in 308win. and think the world of it. The first thing I did was put a SSS bolt and trigger on board. I originally had a Bushnell 4200 8-32 on the rifle, however it didn't have enough verticle adjustment 10" up 10" down, for me. Anyway, I finally settled on a Leupold 6.5-20x50LRT w/varmint reticle. Farrel 10moa base and rings. Also, the factory stock didn't impress me at all, I put a Choate Varminter stock, it's the second one I have, there ugly, but the sure do the job.

To the point, after breaking the rifle in, I have been shooting some paper, I haven't been able to get out yet. The best group has been .16" at a hundred, not bad for a one eyed old man.
When you start changing barrels, do you risk the chance of losing that accuracy, both with a new barrel and when putting the old barrel back on?

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same questions, but this is passing on, what was passed on to me, by several gunsmiths and guys who have competed nationally and in uniform in both the Army and the Jarines....

As long as one puts a proof mark on the barrel and receiver... and head space on an empty case each time the barrel goes back on the same action... you should loose no accuracy whatsoever....

That is what 2 guys I trust passed onto me.. as I am looking to do some barrel changing on several rifles....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote