New
Find
Notify
Tools

questions about prairie dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot prarie dogs 21 years ago on a 200,000 acre ranch, and it was very easy. I could lie down and shoot 10 prarie dogs, get up and walk 200 yards, lie down and do it again.

I would like to go prarie dog hunting again, but I no longer have access to that ranch. I would be hunting on public lands, where I fear prairie dogs would be gun shy.

1) Do the prarie dogs all go down thier holes when the first shot is fired?
2) Out to what range do they go down thier holes?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the town has been hunted hard yes, they will all run into their holes merely at the sight or sound of an approaching vehicle. Its been my experience that if there is a pretty good breeze blowing and you carefully approach from downwind you should get shots around the 200 yard range provided you use a fairly quiet round like a 223, 222 or the like. A 22-250 is really too loud, in my opinion, in a town that sees hunting pressure. Wont be long, couple of months or so, until the pups start venturing out of their holes and provide closer shots.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
<TERMINATOR>
posted
The louder your gun the further out the dogs go in their holes. This has led me on a search for quiet rifles. But my experience is that the dumb ones will stay out about 100 yards away with a .223 being shot unless they are heavily hunted. I use a .22 hornet for most shooting unless the wind is real high or the shots too long and then I go to a larger rifle. The main reason is I want to keep things quiet which keeps botht the dogs and the ranchers happy.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
My experience is that it depends.

I shoot a bolt action, and I have found that most prairie dogs think they are safe at about 300 yards.

My favorite rifle is a .260 with a 100 grain Sierra Varmint bullet.

One day we were shooting dogs within about a mile of some guys using AR-15s, who would fire every few minutes. The dogs then thought they were safe at 700 yards from us and they were darn hard to hit. You can see those guys in the picture just in front of my rifle muzzle. We picked a different spot the next day.

The dogs in this area had been under quite a bit of pressure and were wiley. However, they think that a half hour without a shot is quite is a long wait, and usually start coming back up.

When you don't put them under pressure they will set out at about 300 and just watch you shoot at them. This can be hazardous to their health.

We always thought that a shot under 200 was unsportsmanlike, and we didn't bother those, most of the time.

-

[ 05-29-2003, 23:56: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like shootin right at the feet of them little Prairie doggies with a 7mm Mag or a 300 Win Mag just to see how high I can fling them. HeHeHe

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
You know I was just thinking that people with .22 centerfires may not engage the dogs much past 250 yards, so that's why they think that 300 is safe. The .260 is an easy shot to about 550 yards and a lot of fun.

That little 100 grain Sierra Varmint with H4895 and the F210M primer is an outstanding performer on Dogs.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI;
Glad to meet another astute 260 fan. right on!

Clarkie:

Where do you live bud? I-5 Meets the rain forest? That could be anywhere in Oregon, No Cal or Wash. When I have shot PDogs in Montana, we have had land owners come up and ask up to come shoot their property after we finish were we are currently shooting.

Use a smaller caliber intermitten with a 22/250 or whatever your poison is. Check out the websites on Calhoon bullets and check out his article on 218 Bee or Not to 218 Bee.

I have a post on using Blue Dot powder with 223's for shots under 200 yrds. This load also makes a very mild report, even for a 223. On Oregon ground squirrels the noise it made did not make them go back into their holes at all.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
Another 260 fan here....its a 260AI, also known as a 6.5x308 Ackley. Thats what my Pac Nor barrel and Lee dies say anyhow. Mine is strickly a table gun for extreme range p/dogs and targets. Its built on a Savage s/shot action, Pac Nor 1.230" no taper 26" SS pipe, 1/8" twist, SSS trigger, Choate Varmint stock, Elite 4200 6x24 scope, mounted in Burris Signature rings. If my 25x spotter can find a live target, its in range. Using 107 and 142 Sierra MKs, its a screamer. 95gr V max bullets didn't hold up to the twist it seems, but did account for one 812 yd kill last year. Using 223s, the 260 AI, 7-08 and new this year, a 300 win. These are all Savage HB long range rifles. The 300 win Savage FP got its first 1000 yd kill, first time out last week. Got the ranges covered from 400 to 1200 or so. The 223 is a very good rifle to begin p/dog shooting with. Easy and cheap to shoot, and yes, I'd suggest a Savage 223 with 1/9 twist.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Armed in Utah:

I have heard you folks have Prairie Dogs in Utah, although they are Mormon Prairie Dogs.

Is that true and how plentiful are they?

Would like a good excuse to head over that way and help a farmer or two out on the little pests.

Would also like to see some of your toys in action. sounds like you got some nice equipment.

[Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
Seafire.......p/dog shooting here is somewhat limited. Our shooting is mainly BLM or State land, with limited areas on private property. Its as dry as a popcorn fart here. Two years back I had 2000+ rds at live targets, 2 yrs in a row. Last year, around 800. This year looks so so. Trip planned to the farm on Sunday, an irrigated ranch, always is good for awhile, having several set up points. My shootin' buddy would rather spot, so I shoot. He is also a small caliber shooter, 6PPC biggest. He loves to watch my big guns at long range, especially the 300 win mag with the 180 MKs. I will take a 223, 7-08 and the 300 win FP this weekend. We only shoot about 4 hrs before heat, mirage or wind send us home, start about 7am. Let you know how good/bad shoot is.