THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    300 RUM Case problems - Need Help Fast!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM Case problems - Need Help Fast!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some help with this one very soon so I can use this rifle for deer in 2 days.

I was bear hunting in PA last week and took a box of reloads that I had just made (180 gr Nosler Partition, 83.5 gr 4350, Rem Primers). I went to load the rifle the first morning and couldn't get the shell chambered. Upon examination, the shoulder of the cases were slightly flared and preventing me from closing the bolt. I finally got a couple of rounds to chamber, but they were very tight. The cases are loaded a little hot, but there are no pressure signs at all on the primers. Each case was full length resized and trimmed prior to loading. What could be causing this? Why didn't the full length size die correct it? How can I prevent it on my next reload? The only thing I can guess is that when I seated the bullet it compressed the case slightly, causing it to bulge.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I accidently posted this in the wrong section. I'll copy to the reloading section. Please reply there.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jethro,

You may have your bullet seating die screwed in a bit far and are picking up the crimping action and with no cannelure or the cannelure positioned wrong and you will get what your are taking about.

Mike

[ 11-30-2002, 17:44: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro.
This is a classic mistake when reloading!! I have done it, and I belive almost every handloader have done this mistake somday.
Mike375 is absolutly right. [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote