THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .22250 the most distructive heads.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22250 the most distructive heads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted
My experience of the .22250 over the years as been limited to the sieera varminter 50 grain and the v max 50 grain and the 55grain blitz king heads, out if these i think the varminter is the most distructive followed by the v max and the blitz kings dont apear to be as distructive. the v max are very accurate and explosive but i have had some that dont seem as distructive as others, they seem to need to hit a bone to work realy well. i have no scientific tests to back my observations and welcome your input as to how you have found these bullets .

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
I use a 50 grain Moly V-max in my 22-250 and have no complaints, having said that, i havent tried any other varmint bullets in this calibre simply because i havent found the need to. The vmax kills everything i have shot stone dead, one shot out to 300 yards or so from foxes to crows and pigeons, even canada geese destroying crops(I did neck shoot it to make sure as I was uncertain about how it would fare against an 1 1/2" of thick down feathers?). Foxes are lights out, on the floor, rabbits are blown in half at least if chest shot, Crows just burst and pigeons blow up with a huge puff of feathers. The other great thing is that they are so accurate and you never hear them ricochet!!!!!!!!!! when you miss!!!!!!!For me, this is a huge factor because i shoot in relatively built up areas in Yorkshire. You just get a thud when the bullet hits.(I have a moderator so can always hear the bullet strike if its at least 100 yards to target)

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My experience seems to back up Chris. I tried the 50 V Max first in my 22.250 and was so happy with the accuracy and terminal performance that I haven't tried any other bullet.

Gone are the days when I had the time and energy to try half a dozen bullets and powder combinations for each gun. New guns come to often and range time diminshes as I try to find more hunting time.

Now, on my non-match guns I just try a bullet and powder combination and if it shows promise I fine tune it and shoot it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
I must admit the v max are accurate in my rifle too.

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote