Find
Notify
Tools

Coconut Oil Touted as Alzheimer's Remedy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted
Coconut Oil Touted as Alzheimer's Remedy. Seems worth checking out. It sure cann't hurt you. http://www.cbn.com/media/playe...x?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heartening- some light at the end of that tunnel.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing chiropractors are behind this claim. rotflmo

There are myriad products touted that do nothing but "no harm". Stick to things that have been proven via properly designed, elegant studies in trusted, peer-reviewed scientific journals (and I know there has been bad science even in those places before, but it's the best it can be now).

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know about alzheimer's but it sure makes fried food taste good.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No harm my ass, that stuff is death to the circulatory system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:

True dat!

And this leads right into one of my go-to jokes......

Man goes to the doctor and the doctor says:

"Sir, I have some bad news....you have cancer and Alzheimer's"

And the man says:

"Well, at least I don't have cancer."

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not exactly. Hydrogenated coconut oil is known to be among the worst of the available fats for cooking. Virgin cocnut oil is the newest greatest fad in heart-healthy fats. Even though it is high in saturated fats, it metabolizes fast and doesn't cause the same problems as some others.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
You obviously did not watch the clip as it address's this wives tail quite well.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There you go! Even an old guy like me doesn't know everything, now I can go back to using it in my curries and maybe my memory will improve.

By the way what's a "wives tail" is that like a cats tail or is it related to a "wives tale" as in a story? Sorry couldn't resist Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
There's so much out there on Altzheimer's that it's difficult to discern what's valid. About 10 yrs ago there was so much talk about altzheimer's patients having elevated levels of aluminum in the brain and we were being told not to cook with aluminum cookware. Now we're being told Altzheimer's brains have increased Beta-amyloid and research is being conducted on a vaccine called betabloc. We're also being told their brains have excessive cytokines, specifically TNF. An immune system drug is Etanercept is being looked at for this. I would never want to take away anyone's hope, but I doubt the cure is as simple as coconut oil.
My professor in college said the best prophylactic for Altzheimer's is tobacco.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably some wisdom to the tobacco thing, it kills you off before you can get "old timers disease.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
There's nothing better than coconut oil for cutting or tapping threads in stainless steel, nothing.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote