New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decadence, or customer care...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to RSA to hunt plains game in April. I had Emailed my PH that I would like to stay at Afton House the night I arrive, and my last night in Africa. I explain that I want to try on (and buy) some Courteney Boots, and hit a good tobaccionist in Jo-Berg before heading out. The return Email informs me that if I let him know what size and model of boot he can have someone from the store bring them to camp for me to try on. And, check the tobaccionist website and they can also deliver my preference in cuban or other cigars to camp in boxes of ten or twenty. He suggests just picking me up and heading to Illis Ras that afternoon. Is this standard or have I died and gone to Heaven without realizing it?

The cigar website is www.luxlife.co.za for the cigars.

This is what I call living.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rich,

The quicker he gets out to Ellisras, the sooner you can spend money shooting animals.

Take advantage of the service proffered IF it does not come at a premium. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no extra charge, just a new outfit and friends recommended them to me and vice versa.

Cohibas and Partagas and Fuentes Opus Cigars!!

seventy days...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

let him make the plan. Get to the camp, get there as soon as you can, stay as long as you can. You're going to Africa man! While Afton is nice it is not the bush so unless absolutely necessary get to camp.
(Just make sure you let the ph know how important the tobacco and the boots are.)

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The classic African Safari comes from a long tradition of upper-class and royalty in the 19th and early 20th Centuries heading out to be looked after "in the style to which they're accustomed."

Hence the term: "The Royal Treatment."

I've been favored a time or two with "The Royal Treatment" and readily avow that its really nice, "and I don't much give a damn what it costs."

See if you can't make this some of the most memorable days of your life, the sort of things that take up a few chapters in your memoirs.

Bon Voyage!

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about a jewelry dealer that would go to the hunting camps to show his wares. Naturally, he sold millions in jewelry to the hunters' wives.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Last year during our stay in the Limpopo province a charming lady and a businesslike gentleman arrived in camp. I was caught unawares sipping gin and tonics while several animals worth of trophy fees were reduced to bracelets, pendants and other assorted jewelry. Smiler

You have to be alert every moment even when you're "safely"
in camp. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've bought any, not sure of the quantites, but those prices seem pretty high on the cigars if those are for individual sticks.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote