New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whiskey question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine has a case of Grommes & Ullrich whiskey made in 1936. Only one bottle has been removed from the box and it has not been opened. Is there any collector value on this whiskey? He said if he was 40 years younger he would just drink it. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a google. most of the whiskey I drink doesn't have a label on it. Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The date is interesting because that firm was a major whiskey distributor back at the turn of the century. They were last listed in Chicago in 1918. It sounds as if someone bought the name after prohibition (1933) and bottled whiskey under it because it would have been well known. Try it first. Whiskey does not change in the bottle so if it is crap now, it was probably crap back then and not particularly valuable.

If it is very drinkable then I'd think you might find some bourbon affecionadoes that would value it. Try the bourbon forums.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did find a few references on Google but will try the bourbon forums too. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very good whiskey is resonably cheep to buy. Call me unwashed, but the fine old aged stuff is lost on me.

No man has ever been shot by a woman while doing the dishes

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's worth $1 a bottle. Where do I send the check? Big Grin

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was about to make an offer to purchase this stuff...then I realized that all you guys are Americans, and the "whiskey"...is Bourbon!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jwm
Exactly, REAL Whisky, has no E in it. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The best American Whisky I ever had was regularly sold every evening by a black lady outside the PX at Camp Gordon, GA. It came in 1-qt. Mason jars with no label, for $1 a quart (1950's price). Everyone on post knew of it and many, many of us liked it.

The Camp brass was smart enough not to interfere with its sale or her (a lot of them drank it too, by preference)...and Camp Gordon was where the whole U.S. Army's Military Police training unit was!!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
jwm
Exactly, REAL Whisky, has no E in it. Big Grin

Amen, brother!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three beads and you got some pretty good stuff.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd contact an auction house or possibly a larger spirits seller/retailer or wholesales outlet. If nothing else I'd think almost any of them would be willing to trade it for an equal number of decent modern stuff. IMO a large part of the value would depend on how ornate the label is, both on the bottle and the case, how obvious the age is, etc.

I'd definitely advise against opening a bottle, you're only depreciating the value of the lot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote