Find
Notify
Tools

Best cigar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Not looking to start smoking again but thought it fitting to have a cigar after taking a nice animal or sitting by the fire in the evening enjoying some local refreshment. I went by the local tobacco shop here and picked up some Macanudo Maduro cigars. Hmmm taste just like a cigar with a lingering after taste of cigar. Any recommendations for a smooth, sweet cigar or is there even such a thing.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 871 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I favor maduros. Try Punch or Partagas.
cigar

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ashton.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ashton 60-serie cabinet selection.
Try 1-800-JR-CIGAR for an informative catalog, the guy is crazier than Walter.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
JR Cigar, that brings back fond memories. In the past I bought a number of their own brands, and they were fine. I'll have to look them up again. Thanks. cigar

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Not looking to start smoking again but thought it fitting to have a cigar after taking a nice animal (......)

I have some nice partagas, romeo y julieta and montecristo just for those unique ocasions .... and for when sitting by the fire and / or when talking with other fellow hunters (lying us each other, my wife would say Big Grin) I usually smoke my pipe accompanying it with a good cognac...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Not looking to start smoking again but thought it fitting to have a cigar after taking a nice animal (......)

I have some nice partagas, romeo y julieta and montecristo just for those unique ocasions .... and for when sitting by the fire and / or when talking with other fellow hunters (lying us each other, my wife would say Big Grin) I usually smoke my pipe accompanying it with a good cognac...

Martin. I also enjoy a good cigar, but I like my pipes even more. Cuándo yo soy próximo en Argentina que debemos hacer exactamente lo que usted sugiere. Siéntese por un fuego que goza un humo bueno y un aguardiente o un puerto.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Romeo y Julietas # 4
Opus X

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bitw,

just had the pleasure of a JR Alternative H Upmann
8.5x56 ring Maduro...and the last of a bottle of Screech. Got an old ranger buddy that's originally from Newfoundland that gets it when he visits the old family home.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great find for me in a relatively inexpensive cigar has been Sancho Panza maduros. Around $4.00 and a nice,rich, smooth smoke. Like 'em as well as smokes costing over twice as much.

CAO Criollos are also quite good. Have to second Billinthewild on the Punch, as well.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romeo y Julieta, Number 2 or 3. A very nice smoke that lasts no more 30 minutes or so. (I don't want to marry a long-lasting relationship, just smoke it.)

yes, a Cubano, and instead of providing comfort and cash to my enemies i prefer to think of it as burning his crops.

If you are not willing to indulge in a Cuban, there are always Swisher Sweets. or, ssk the dude in the smoke shop for a nice mild Honduran or Dominican

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nkonka:
Romeo y Julieta, Number 2 or 3. A very nice smoke that lasts no more 30 minutes or so. (I don't want to marry a long-lasting relationship, just smoke it.)

yes, a Cubano, and instead of providing comfort and cash to my enemies i prefer to think of it as burning his crops.

If you are not willing to indulge in a Cuban, there are always Swisher Sweets. or, ssk the dude in the smoke shop for a nice mild Honduran or Dominican

That's always been my dilemma with Cubans - indulging my capitalist tastes with a communist product. I like your take on it and plan to shamelessly steal this from you. thumb

I like Monte Cristo or Partagas, as well as RyJ. No. 3 or 4. I think of the big Churchills as all day suckers.

Is is just me, or does anyone else think that Macanudo's have just a hint of ganga smell to them when you spark them up? Must be the influence of the island. Nice cigar, though.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gave up sticks for the bowl.
back then i liked Joya De' Nicagragua's for the money.
Now i'm a Blue Note addict.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WannabeeBwana

go ahead and steal away. Hell, i stole it from non other than Alexander Haig who used that line when a reporter caught hiim smoking a cuban. Er, make that smoking a cuban cigar!

I see you are from Canada. As a resident of a border city i find the cubans are much cheaper in your fine country than anywhere (bahamas, belize, mexico, honduras.) I get mine in Sault, Ontario but don't tell my customs agents!

And, yes, there is that hint of sweet mary jane in a macanudo.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Gotta second the Joya de Nicaraguas
Like the H. Upman's a bunch, usually a Churchill for me, Also the CAO Brazilia and Italias are nice. If sweet is the order of the day, a Baccarat.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ashton VSGs in the 8x54 size is hard to beat.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I really like the cigars made by this company in Austin, Texas. Bobalu Cigars
Everything is hand rolled right there. They have a nice variety. If you join their Buyer's Club. It's buy one get one free for purchases less than a box.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Havatampa Jewels & Swisher Sweets

sofa

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Well I haven't lit one up in ages, but for me the Bolivar Belicoso Fino is my go to cigar. Mild with a hint of cream.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote