Find
Notify
Tools

Small, quiet gas engine?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Guys, I am thinking about building one of those little wood, sleigh-nosed cars like the early Oldsmobiles with the tiller steering. Plans I have call for a riding lawnmower engine. Can these things be muffled down at all? Any other affordable, available power plant come to mind that mind sound a bit more like the old, early engines?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe the world of small quiet engines pretty much belongs to honda at the moment

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed- the engine on their Eu-1000, and -2000 small generators is really quiet, the Eu-6500, also.

mower engines-
http://www.northerntool.com/sh...mode+matchallpartial

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. If those are the Honda V-twins, they're waaay outta my price range. Agree they are quiet, though.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quiet???.... go electric.... salvage a golf cart for $3-400.... nostalgic???.... go for the noise of a fairmont....it was a hit/miss direct reversing, used on rialcart movers....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2830 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone out there makes a muffler that you attach to end of the factory exhaust on a 4 wheeler that's supposed to quiet them down. Can't remember name of it though...right time of year to check the newstand at Walmart though...

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
robin-subaru, propane conversion, electric fans and a firewall-from-alum-coated-fiberglass

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun.

I bet a long curving pipe with a muffler on the end would make that lawnmower engine sound a lot like the original.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at northerntool.com they have a ton of honda engines on hand

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Grenadier: That's an awesome ride, dude!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early engine sound -- MP3 player and a couple speakers. clap

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If I were building one of these, I think I'd start looking for a small diesel engine for it. There are many small diesels in the 5-10 hp range- Yanmar and Hatz are 2 good brands but there are a few chinese engines out there too.

A lawnmower engine will always sound like a lawn mower, but a small diesel will sound distinctive enough to be unique.

I'd start looking in the local craigslist and maybe you'll find a local bargain on a used one.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any cheap small car muffler should do. You'll just need some reduction fittings to plumb it in. Dedicated ATV mufflers/silencers cost over $150. Some of the ATV silencers just slip over the existing exhaust pipe and attach to the frame.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill -
the murray lawn mower motor is kaput

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Saw a guy go by the other day on a gas powered scooter-thing barely made a sound.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any cheap small car muffler should do.

Yes.

A project like this is not much concerned with power so you can try several experiments. One that I did when I was a kid was to screw a second muffler into the outlet of the first. It made for a relatively quiet lawn mower.
I also played around with an old kick start washing machine engine. At the low idle RPM of this engine it was also very quiet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
quiet???.... go electric.... salvage a golf cart for $3-400.... nostalgic???.... go for the noise of a fairmont....it was a hit/miss direct reversing, used on rialcart movers....

Back in Summer 1982, I was a ranger at a golf course. Our carts were Yamahas. They had some kind of governor on them that allowed them to rev up to high rpm as you accelerated, then rev down and putt-putt up and down as the demand required. This kept the engine cool. I have no idea how this was done, but that's what I have to say. And these carts were very quiet, as you'd expect them to be on a golf course.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Sounds fun.

I bet a long curving pipe with a muffler on the end would make that lawnmower engine sound a lot like the original.

my neighbor built one of these looked a little different but same basic design. he used like a 12 hp engine and a hydrostatic rearend from a lawnmower. that litte thing will go kinda scary actually. we estimated about 35mph on it never used the gps to find out but all you have to steer is that little bar coming up so its a little scary.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
SR4759: I have an old late-'20s kick-start one-lung Whirlpool engine, but didn't think it would have enough poop to keep the kart moving.

– John Green, author