Notify
Tools

Japanese Whisky Distillers Toast of World
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Japan's High-End Distillers Are the Toast of Whisky World

A Sake Scion Who Learned His Trade in Scotland Paved the Way for Blends That Would Make Robert Burns Proud

By KENNETH MAXWELL (Wall Street Journal, 2-2-10)

YOICHI, Japan—In 1918, Masataka Taketsuru, the son of a Japanese sake-brewing dynasty, sailed to Scotland to study chemistry—and he learned the craft of distilling fine Scotch whisky. Some 89 years later, a blend named after him prised something else from the Scots: the honor of being named best whisky in the world.

Japanese whisky maker Nikka boasts many prize-winning scotches, but most of their premium products are not available outside Japan. But now Nikka is targeting American customers.

But making expensive whisky is one thing, selling it another: Nearly three years after Nikka Whisky Distilling Co.'s 21-year old Taketsuru Pure Malt was named the world's best blended malt at the prestigious Whisky Magazine awards in Glasgow, the Japanese company is finally planning to launch a range of its prize-winning whiskies in the U.S. by the end of the year.

Nikka—owned by Asahi Breweries Ltd.—and rival Suntory Holdings Ltd. hope their premium branded whiskies can follow a long list of successful Japanese exports from autos to electronics, and from sushi to anime.

"The fundamental thing in premium whisky is the whisky itself and both Nikka and Suntory have, over the last two decades, proved that they can produce some of the best whisky in the world," says Christopher Bunting, founder of Japanese whisky blog Nonjatta, which translates as "drunk it all." "The Japanese distillers are taking it slowly and cautiously but there are definite signs that the foreign market is being taken very seriously. Times are changing."

At the snowbound Yoichi distillery on Japan's northern island of Hokkaido, little has changed over the decades in terms of the principles of whisky distilling, says production manager Koichi Nishikawa. The stills—the large vessels in which the core of the distilling process takes place—at the Yoichi distillery are fired using coal, a method long since abandoned in most other distilleries. It makes for subtle differences in the way vapors pass into processing pipes before starting the process that converts them into alcohol, says Mr. Nishikawa.

Fresh from a traditional New Year's blessing by a local Shinto priest, the distillery is preparing for the first coal-firing of the year set for Jan. 24—the day before Scots mark their traditional celebration of national poet Robert Burns with a hearty meal of haggis washed down with Scotch whisky. (Unlike whiskey from the U.S. or Ireland, Japanese whisky is spelled without the 'e' like Scotch whisky.)

Until recently, Japan's whisky industry has taken a conservative approach to sales too, focusing on relatively low-cost brews that first rose to popularity in the domestic market in the 1970s.

Ulf Buxrud, author of "Japanese Whisky: Facts, Figures and Taste", says Japan's whisky makers missed a big overseas opportunity in the mid-1990s, when young and affluent consumers in Europe and the U.S. developed a taste for premium whiskeys that had previously been the province of connoisseurs and older drinkers.

"The Japanese were almost absent [from international markets] until 2006-2007 and, hence, lost an opportunity to take a significant slice of the market pie," Mr. Buxrud says.

In recent years, Japanese distillers have had to face declining sales of whisky in the domestic market, which had been a mainstay of demand.

Naofumi Kamiguchi, general manager of the wines and spirits division at Asahi, says whisky drinking in Japan has fallen off the scale since the smoking salarymen heydays of the 1970s and 1980s. Consumers have drifted to novel products such as beers made without malt and pre-mixed fruit cocktails, as well as traditional Japanese brews such as sake and white spirit shochu. Japan's league of whisky drinkers is now only about a fifth of what it was 20 years ago, says Mr. Kamiguchi. Tax changes in the 1990s that made whisky relatively more expensive than other alcoholic drinks have also hurt sales.

In contrast to the shrinking home front, overseas markets offer Japanese distillers a new market, for premium products in particular.

Last month, in a traditional stone building off the Boulevard Saint Germain in Paris's tony 6th arrondissement, liquor distributor La Maison du Whisky opened a pop-up store selling a range of Japanese whiskies including Suntory's 12-year-old Hibiki. (Hibiki's 30-year-old whisky was voted best blended whisky in the world at the 2008 World Whiskies Awards.) Originally slated to close Jan. 16, La Maison du Whisky's manager for Nikka products Geraldine Landier says the store concept—devised by the French company—proved more popular than expected: Its four-week run was extended by a week and will now close on SaturdayJan. 23.

"We've built up some local custom in just that short time," says Ms. Landier, "as well as connoisseurs and even some tourists who came specially for the store."

While most customers have spent about €50 to €60 (about $70 to $85) per bottle, those who want to really splurge can buy the highest-end Japanese whiskies that are on sale for €700 to €800, says Ms. Landier.

Paris also saw the opening last year of the only official Nikka bar outside Japan, in the cellar at the Curio Parlor cocktail club in the left bank just off the Seine river. The club hosts monthly "Nikka'fterwork" tasting events as well as funky club nights with guest DJs running into the wee hours.

Japanese distillers have also tested their wares in the U.S. The Nihon Whisky Lounge in San Francisco's Mission district—one of a relatively select band of U.S. outlets selling a range of Japanese whiskies—offers Suntory's flagship 12-year-old Yamazaki single malt at $13 a shot, while a Hibiki 12-year-old sets drinkers back $16 a pop. Bar staff say demand is rising, along with awareness of the existence of such a thing as premium Japanese whisky.

Nikka declined to disclose details of plans for the U.S. launch, including timetable and pricing, saying it is still finalizing terms of a distribution deal.

Takahiro Itoga, general manager of business planning for the spirits division at Suntory Liquors, says Europe and the U.S are a top priority for the company's whisky sales. Suntory launched its Hibiki brand in Europe and the U.S. last year, and saw overseas sales hit 6,000 cases. This year's target for Hibiki is 8,000 cases. Suntory has also targeted a 23% increase in overseas sales of its flagship Yamazaki brand to 31,000 cases from 25,000 last year.

Those numbers are a drop in the vat compared to the overall size of markets such as the U.S., where sales are worth well over $5 billion a year, according to the U.S. Distilled Spirits Council. But growth targets of the Japanese distillers indicate their ambitions in Europe and the U.S.—they are also looking at potentially lucrative emerging markets for premium whisky such as India, China and Russia.

Whisky enthusiast and author Mr. Buxrud is optimistic Japan's distilleries can succeed overseas.

"For me, Japanese malt whiskies are another color on the global palette...Their exclusivity not only lies in being true to and preserving the scheme they adopted from Scotland, but also in the desire to experiment and carry the concept forward, for example, using Japanese oak for maturing vessels, and developing own strains of yeast cultures."

—Hiroyuki Kachi contributed to this article (Wall Street Journal, 2-2-10)

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I hear that the gas pedals will stick and run you out of control all the way into a wall and dead.

Yet I also hear that they may give you ten cents for the empty bottles depending on the strength of the yen on any given day.

All of this could have been avoided of course by a warning label saying that when the gas is too strong you should put the power train in neutral and pull onto the nearest shoulder while slowing down to a gradual stop.

Not needed for everyone but sad to say certainly needed for most.

I miss J.D. Salinger.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had some "Whisky" that was made in Colorado, USA. And I think some from Aussie Land?
It was OK, however it had a long way to go to be better than Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Or even blended Scotch Whisky such as "The Famous Grouse Brand"

Just my opine.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It's all about marketing and tradition, not quality. Like a Honda motorcycle versus a Harley. The fact that it's made in Japan and not by a guy wearing a kilt may hold it back for awhile, until folks actually get a chance to sample. In a blind taste test, we've seen what happens. Clan Armstrong.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember when "Made In Japan" meant it was cheap plastic, post-war junk.

Lexus is made by Toyota, just for the record. And we're posting this from a Toshiba. But still, "Scotch" is from Scotland, and "Kentucky Bourbon" is from Kentucky. Ive been reading labels on Canadian Whisky -- "Imported" doesn't tell you much. Most Canadian sold in the USA is imported from Canada in barrels, diluted to 80 Proof in the USA, and put in American bottles, "under the authority of" --

As much as I'm buying what's in the bottle, I'm also buying where the bottle is from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oxo considering that most Canadian whiskey is aged in used American barrels you might say we're just "returning our empties!"

beer

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
My father has a bottle of this Japanese "malt whiskey" as I believe it is called. Given to him buy a Japanese friend. Seeing as I am going to visit my folks on Friday, I will try this stuff and give a full report!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what anybody says - Japanese 'Scotch' just ain't right! We have it on the shelves here, and I just plain don't have the gall to buy it. It's right up there with gays in the military, in my book.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
oxo considering that most Canadian whiskey is aged in used American barrels you might say we're just "returning our empties!"

beer

Yeah, American whiskey barrels get used once. Then sent to Canada for their use, or sawed in half and sold at garden centers for pots.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
US Bourbon barrels are also sent to Scotland to age whisky there. While barrel in the US can be used only once. They are used several times in Scotland.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Well I tried this stuff over the weekend. The brand my father has is Suntory 12year old. However the only other Scotch he had in cabinet for me to use as a comparison was Dewar's and Johnny Walker Red. I refuse to drink Johnny Walker and can only stomach Dewar's on a good day. This was not a good day, so my tests are inconclusive.
Scotch afficianados please don't bash me if mispeak, but the Suntory was good. Not heavy or "peaty" at all. If I had to compare it to one authentic Scotch, I would say Glenlivet 12 yr.

All in all based on my two drinks, though its good, its not anything I would go looking for

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my Scotchy has to have peat in it.

I am drinking Laphroaig right now...

However, I do like warm Sake, with my Sushi. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote