New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moonshine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't believe it's not discussed. There are stainless, TIG welded reflux stills available online:

http://www.milehidistilling.co..._30_inch_p/16030.htm

This is the best source I've found, but there are suppliers all over the internet.

Unlawful in the USA, but evidently legal in Australia and parts of Europe, the "end run" in the USA is that you can run product IF you have a PERMIT, and are producing ethanol fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

-- Giving rise to the defense: "Honest Sheriff, I keep all tractor fuel in crystal decanters on the credenza!"

A time honored American tradition, stills provided a means to processing and storing excess crop production (corn). Liquor is more easily transported than corn feed, brings a better price, and provides more market demand.

The US "Whiskey Rebellion" was about moonshine and liquor taxes.

Seems like the Founders should have included "shall not be infringed" on liquor . . . Like it's doing us all sorts of good on firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
save your money the ones online are not very good reflux/column stills tend to have little flavor

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flavor in any distilled spirit comes from the barrel it ages in. Lots of traditional moonshiners (Popcorn Sutton), use discarded whiskey barrels -- which are charred -- and "temper" their product with water.

It still comes out pretty clear/tasteless.

Any moonshine I've ever had was clear, tasteless (for the most part), and about 185 proof. We'd combine it with traditional mixers.

Mags Bennett, the hillbilly Diva on "Justified" makes "Apple Pie" -- likely moonshine flavored with apples, cinnamon, and whatever apple pie spice she can come up with. But it's TV, not real life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

I have two of these, bought at a flea market in Manhattan. There were several more. We use this one as an umbrella stand.

I assume this is a still, anyway.

My great uncle Rollache was a bootlegger Big Grin .

BTW, on two occasions at that flea market I saw Norden bombsights for sale.

quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:

Any moonshine I've ever had was clear, tasteless (for the most part), and about 185 proof. We'd combine it with traditional mixers.

What I've seen was liable to land anywhere on the scale, low through high quality- some was obviously poison.

and don't tell Walter but my wife is behind that door taking... A SHOWER!!!!

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a milk can, w/ the drain hole at the bottom added later. Could be the housing for the "worm" (condenser), or "thumper keg" (reflux pot). Threaded cap is curious. Caps on milk cans are generally press fit.

Commercial stills are copper. Nonetheless I have reservations about copper and alcohol mixed together. Heavy metal contamination.

Lead base solders are another concern with moonshine products. Never mind the dead vermin floating in the mash.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are "operations" --

And "Popcorn Sutton" from "The Last One" -- Sucker Punch Pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
Threaded cap is curious.

That's why I don't think it's a milk can; as stated, I have two of these, and they are both threaded, as were the several others I saw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are still real moonshiners in our area but it's mostly for the nostalgia, hell Jim Beam is basically the same price and a helluva lot tastier. I suspect with sugar going up, they may be priced out of the business.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a supply runs up from the mid-south to the NYC area.

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I made one from a pressure cooker. it didn't make much, just enough to get into trouble.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote