WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutlasses and swords - right-handed AND left-handed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Cutlasses and, probably, other swords were made as right-handed and left-handed. Excluding the obvious difference for scabbards being worn on opposite sides of the user's body, what are the differences between right- and left-handed cutlasses?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about fighting weapons, but I used to fence, and my sabre (which I still have) has the hand guard slightly extended on the left hand side (inside) so as to guard against a cut to the wrist. Same with my epee, which has a similar bias in the guard, to help protect the inside wrist and forearm. Both obviously assume a right handed opponent.
This, of course assumes a western style of swordplay, unlike the Japanese katana which is based on a single killing stroke.
Peter.
PS. The French foil is also "handed" as the grip has a slight bend in it to fit closely into the palm of the hand. Orthopaedic grips on the epee are also "handed".

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah ! the good old days when I was a fencer. Not too long ago my chiropractor asked if I had ever injured my legs I said no not ever .But as
I thought about it I realized my legs were different because I was a fencer for years . From the right side , epee' . Big Grin What a fine sport.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go NP...just for you. This guy has a whole lot of videos on You Tube..

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
i still have my foil from college.A fine sport indeed.There was a little black girl that was hell on a sabre;I never took that one up to my regret. I am left handed but I suppose after adapting in a right handled world all my life that this was normal to have the piece feel normal to me.The curvature in the handle felt just right.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Off topic, but I would sure love to own the iron-mounted hunting sword from Old Dominion Forge.

http://www.olddominionforge.com/swords.html

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. Ah for the "good old days" when men were men + women were'nt.To carry ones sword on a regular basis + just waiting for the chance to say "Unhand that lady,you knave!"

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The other thing is that with a right handed sword the offset handguard protects the back of the hand and allows the sword to lay flatter against the body in the cross draw configuration. If the guard is ambidextrous, it would dig into your side all the time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always wondered why old swords that were used for fighting, never seem to show major blade indents where they impacted the opponents sword.
Anyone explain this?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the matches I examined swords especially the broken ones .[part of my metallurgical failure analysis studies !! ] Roll Eyes Yes they are there and a major cause of blade failure . Many of the swords were poorly made with sharp corners . Now they have things like Maraging steels !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
During the middle ages,in the tower keeps the stairs were built in a counter clockwise rise to give additional advantage to the defenders as most, then as now, were right handers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samurai Swords?
Hopefully this isn't too far off subject but it seems there are some folks on this thread that might have an answer for me.
My wife has a Samurai sword that was given to her Father in the mid 50's when they were stationed in Japan. The story goes that it was kept hidden during WWII when everyone was supposed to give them up.
Does anyone know where I could find a source for more info about this sword? I was told by an appliance guy that saw it here the grip could be removed by removing two wooden pegs and the makers name would be revealed. I don't want to mess it up but would like to know more about it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,you can drive out the 2 chopstick tips to remove the hilt. You will then see the gliffs where it was made (by what clan/district,etc.)Their designations do not transfer well into western thought. I have one from the Kodo (era?) dated at late 17th century that was brought back from the pacific theatre.The info I got about its heritage came from the director of the Honolulu samauri society at Camp Perry a few years ago.Those pins should NOT be drifted out too often. Leave it alone until you can find a real appraiser.I can assume in this day of internet that there are contacts to be made.Good luck.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nobull, I see you are in Oregon. I'd suggest contacting Fred Lohman:

FRED LOHMAN
3405 N. E. Broadway Portland, OR 97232 USA
(503)-282-4567

His website:

https://www.japanese-swords.com/

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat site Mark,Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out. Thank you.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote