Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone read Hebrew?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
My buddy gave me a plaque in Hebrew with some kind of "blessing" on it. Guess it is like what's used on the mezzuzah? Anyway I'd like to post a pix and find out what it says. He was a New York 'schule' kid growing up pre-Texas move with family. We have had a good relationship for ten years+ based on my understanding of God's chosen people (vs. the anti-semitism that surprised me when I moved from M.K. days in East Africa to start college in the '70s).) FYI

Sorry 'bout the shine...

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
It reads Bircat Ha Bayit, or Blessing of The House.

It is standard fare to put one of these by the entrance to the home. It is a prayer taken from the Biblical verse from Proverbs [24:3]: "A house is built by wisdom and is established by understanding and by knowledge are its rooms filled with pleasant riches".

The wording on this one is slightly different, but the meaning is the same.

Hang it proudly.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Mazel tov, Don. Thanks for this! Amharic is quite similar in some respects. Blessing is 'berricut', house is 'beit' and such.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That plaque would make a beautiful ceramic tile.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
That plaque would make a beautiful ceramic tile.

Michael brought it back from Israel. The only other souvenir I ever had was a letter opener "sword" from Jerusalem, a tour we made for 1 1/2 weeks back in the 70's before sixth grade. Lost it (or it was taken from my dormitory) and I deeply resented the loss.

Of course my new sword says Vaalwater and has a kudu on it! That came from Nylstroom Taxidermy side trip in 2001 for wifey's warthog shoulder mount.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hebrew!!!!! I'm still working on english.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, so looking again, it is a ceramic tile. I'd love to have a few of them. Anyone know if anyone sells them in NY or anywhere in the US?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Hebrew!!!!! I'm still working on english.

Ain't we all, cuz. Some of the chuckleheads at the 'fire will never catch up.