New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older St. Louis' most interesting restaurant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think you might need to have been living in the greater St. Louis area before the early 1960s to have eaten in the three finest restaurants, Kemaul's (Spelling) in north St. Louis just off of Interstate 70, Schober's Wine Restauant in extreme south St. Louis, and Port of St. Louis downtown. But finest is not "most interesting". In central south St. Louis was a good restaurant, Edmund's. Mr. Edmund must have been an antique arms collector. Decorating the restaurant's knotty pine walls were flintlock, cap lock, and single shot cartridge rifles. While my memory is hazy after the rifles, I thing I remember some cuirassiers' thoracic armor and European lances. There may have been weapons from World War I, perhaps handguns medieval equipment, but these things are not firmly in memory. Eventually Mr. Edmund retired and his restaurant closed, probably in the middle to late 1960s.

Anyone eaten there, probably as a child?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
I think you might need to have been living in the greater St. Louis area before the early 1960s to have eaten in the three finest restaurants, Kemaul's (Spelling??) in north St. Louis just off of Interstate 70, Schober's Wine Restauant in extreme south St. Louis, and Port of St. Louis downtown. But finest is not "most interesting". In central south St. Louis was a good restaurant, Edmund's. Mr. Edmund must have been an antique arms collector. Decorating the restaurant's knotty pine walls were flintlock, cap lock, and single shot cartridge rifles. While my memory is hazy after the rifles, I thing I remember some cuirassiers' thoracic armor and European lances. There may have been weapons from World War I, perhaps handguns medieval equipment, but these things are not firmly in memory. Eventually Mr. Edmund retired and his restaurant closed, probably in the middle to late 1960s.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I think you might need to have been living in the greater St. Louis area before the early 1960s to have eaten in the three finest restaurants, Kemaul's (Spelling??) in north St. Louis just off of Interstate 70, Schober's Wine Restauant in extreme south St. Louis, and Port of St. Louis downtown. But finest is not "most interesting". In central south St. Louis was a good restaurant, Edmund's. Mr. Edmund must have been an antique arms collector. Decorating the restaurant's knotty pine walls were flintlock, cap lock, and single shot cartridge rifles. While my memory is hazy after the rifles, I think I remember some cuirassiers' thoracic armor and European lances. There may have been weapons from World War I, perhaps handguns medieval equipment, but these things are not firmly in memory. Eventually Mr. Edmund retired and his restaurant closed, probably in the middle to late 1960s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duplicate post.

DELETE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
duplicate post.

[B]DELETE[/B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but the atmosphere + décor is right up my alley! What a pity , that in this age of P.C., we can't enjoy something like that! As a kid, I remember going to Madame Tussauds house of wax in London, + all the surrounding restaurants had pictures on the walls of various means of torture. Great stuff for a bloodthirsty kid in those days.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to run that past Dustoffer. He was raised in St Lou.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Is this the first place?

https://www.riverfronttimes.co...Location?oid=2687970

Unfortunately it says "permanently closed"

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Is this the first place?

https://www.riverfronttimes.co...Location?oid=2687970

Unfortunately it says "permanently closed"
Permanently closed??! Has St. Louis County so debased itself that there were not enough people eager to dine at one of the world's best restaurants three times a year? Oh the horror!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it will pick up when the weather gets warmer but the past couple of years the down town has been a ghost town when I've been there in the afternoon during the winter. Not last year but in 2021 I went to the auto show with a son on a Friday, after the show we went walking down towards the ball field and parts were so empty I remarked to my son "This place looks like an abandoned theme park from Scooby Doo", he laughed and agreed.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Best food I ever had in St. Louis was recommended by a customer. Tucker's and get the pork chop. He was correct, best I have ever had.

https://tuckersplace.com/

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kemoll's (correct spelling) best of the best meal aka "dining experience" was its once-a-month "taste of . . ." that was 12 tiny courses of specialties of famous dining areas (mostly in Europe) throughout the world. Price was high but worth every penny. During my insecure, self conscious late teens as undergraduate St. Louis University student I would take a beautiful Barnes Hospital nursing student to a "taste of" dinner - hoping for reward but never getting one. Oh well. The dinner was superb.