WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's see, hunt deer in Kansas or PG in Africa ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm posting here because I don't want to step on any outfitters' toes. But can someone tell me why anyone would pay $6,000 to hunt friggin whitetails in Kansas in December when the same money would get you a lovely week's hunting for kudu, gemsbok, and two or three other critters in warm and sunny Africa?
What am I missing here?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it may be north of Amarillo, one doesn't have to leave the good ol' US of A to hunt in Kansas.
Just Sayin'

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I'm posting here because I don't want to step on any outfitters' toes. But can someone tell me why anyone would pay $6,000 to hunt friggin whitetails in Kansas in December when the same money would get you a lovely week's hunting for kudu, gemsbok, and two or three other critters in warm and sunny Africa? What am I missing here?

I have no idea why someone would pay $6,000 to hunt, as you say, friggin whitetails, in Kansas. Actually, for $6,000 you can probably get at least 4 animals, 7 days and transportation to Africa if you shop around.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
It's probably a high fence guarenteed trophy hunt.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't understand it either!

For that matter, why pay $6,000 trophy fee (that's it just the trophy fee) to hunt Oryx in the Hill Country either!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Doesn't a 6K plainsgame hunt actualy equate to 12K when all is said and done?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Not necessarily.

The total cost depends on what you count. If you get expensive, like full body, mounts done and count that in the cost, then you're probably right and if you add in air fare then you would be even closer to right.

I've been in RSA twice; once for almost 3 weeks and once for a little over 2 weeks. On one trip I took 9 animals and on the other a bit over 10 and my cost, not including air fare or taxidermy, was around $6,000.

There are other differences compared to hunting in Kansas:

1. Probably no rain and even less likely snow.

2. Really cool ambience and a good bed.

3. Staff who will give you something to drink while others load your 750 lb. Zebra in the bakkie.

If you must suffer a little to enjoy your hunt, by all means go to Kansas.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Although it may be north of Amarillo, one doesn't have to leave the good ol' US of A to hunt in Kansas.Just Sayin'

GWB

When did Kansas become a state?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin: Glad someone else sees it my way. Now, I realize a big whitetail rack is important to some folks, but $6,200 for a hunt?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arky,
You may want to reread that statement...

I'd pay that to hunt Kansas for a really nice wt. I've got most of the plainsgame I want to take (except for gazelles) but don't have a really nice whitetail yet.

'not including air fare or taxidermy, was around $6,000'.
That's kind of a big omission there. Air fare is getting a little pricey as is shipping the animals back. Taxidermy is roughly $500 per animal.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After airfare and shipping and more than a couple hidden charges a P/G trip seems to have...
(sorry but I will never go on one so I have no real knowledge)

but a 6K trip is probably a 10k to 12K trip.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
round 2

Why do some folk order lobster at $50/lb at a restraunt vs. kobe beef at $100/lb +.
Cause they want to, and they can!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Never had either

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$6k for whitetail is a joke. Absolutely no need to do that with plenty of choices for public land big whitetail in other places.

Hint: Go west young man!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
So is 1K for a DIY Cow Elk Hunt in NM....

I received a PM from a reputable broker that post here just the other day with his supposed smoking hot deal...I passed.

1K for a DIY tresspass cow elk......crazy!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me either!

Ever driven across Kansas? I was in the Army Hospital at Ft Carson fall and early winter in 1971 getting some restoration work done. I lived just outside of St Louis in Illinois. I had this nifty 440-6bbl RR. We stuffed a 2:76 posi rearend in it, and three of us drove back and forth on weekends. 424 miles across I-70.

Africa, on the other hand, that is a fun drive, just to sight see.

Sooo, back on task: Africa, Kansas. Kansas, Africa. One whitetail deer: or, Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Eland, Zebra, Impala, Blesbok...

Sorry ToTo, I am headed back to Africa. I will wave when we fly over.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the same time you realized you have no brain. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
quote:
Although it may be north of Amarillo, one doesn't have to leave the good ol' US of A to hunt in Kansas.Just Sayin'

GWB

Jim

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's their money and I suspect they should be able to spend it how or where they want. Don't agree with their choices, so what, make your own.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang Jayhawkers anyway...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
About the same time you realized you have no brain. Big GrinLarry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
quote:

GWB

Jim

I suppose what passes for humor on this side of the big muddy does not on the other side.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

For the most part, pretty much so.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
OK then. If you would like to try to compare apples with apples, come up with a cost estimate on hunting 4 to 6 big game trophies (i.e., not management animals), travel to and from Texas and taxidermy fees and see how close you come to $12,000 after your Texas hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
OK then. If you would like to try to compare apples with apples, come up with a cost estimate on hunting 4 to 6 big game trophies (i.e., not management animals), travel to and from Texas and taxidermy fees and see how close you come to $12,000 after your Texas hunt.

yup!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would seem that some in here think the hunt and having dead heads hanging on the wall are the same thing. They are not and one can indeed come very close to hunting in RSA or Namimbia for 4 or 5 head for $6000 including expenses IF you take only pics and memories for trophies.

Also, in my opinion (and I think this feeling is nearly universal to anyone who has been to Africa) the experience of hunting almost anywhere in Africa for a week is far superior to sitting on a stand in Kansas for the same period of time. I'm not knocking Kansas (well, not much, it ain't TEXAS after all.... Wink ) and a big whitetail is a great trophy but any hunt is a gestalt and killing a good deer in Kansas is not the equivalent of killing a good trophy in Africa for most people.

It's all supply and demand in the end tho.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

I agree wholeheartedly. Can't compare any African hunt to a whitetail hunt. Yeah, I play around with whitetails -- in TEXAS, but it's no comparison to a real hunt in Africa -- just about anywhere (never been to SA except the airport for transfers). Should say, I'm not intending to be disparaging to SA, but like Texas, they do have high-fence operations, some of which are of rather small size.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa vs Africa...

is like Apples and Oranges..

To each his own.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote