New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watson's revolver?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought "The Sherlock Holmes Collection," the only surviving BBC episodes starring Peter Cushing. These five 1960s episodes have Watson carrying and using "his service revolver." Seeing him load it in "A Study in Scarlet" shows it to be a solid frame, gate loader. I have no idea what its brand and model are. Since its appearance is odd, I guess it's possible that it is not a standard revolver at all. Rather, it could be something that has been cobbled together, perhaps for an earlier production. What I postulate is something similar to the double action revolver in the 1950s children's cowboy series, "Annie Oakley," starring Gail Davis, that was altered to look like a Colt Single Action Army.

Anyone who can shed light on Watson's strange revolver, please do.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And Watson , Bring your revolver !! popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My query on another forum, I believe, answers my question. I think it is an Adams 450 revolver. If, upon pause and zoom, I determine it is not, I'll report. Hopefully, I'll have a firmer idea of what it is.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
By Jove, I think you've got it!

Watson's Revolver

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You're probably right but somehow in my recollections of 40+ years ago I am seeing the term an 'Epps # 2'. But facing the facts,if then was as now,there is a lot of miscomunication as to authenticity.I have learned to keep my mouth shut while watching westerns + am prompted to say,"THAT WAS'NT EVEN INVENTED THEN!".etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Years ago, Garry James wrote an article on "The Guns of Sherlock Holmes" in one of the Guns and Ammo Annuals from the 1980s. I wish I had kept it.
From the Wiki entry on "jezail:
"The jezail is most notable, at least in Western literature, as the weapon which wounded Dr. Watson—the fictional biographer of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes—in the Battle of Maiwand during his military service in Afghanistan. In A Study in Scarlet, Watson mentions being wounded in the shoulder.[2] However, in The Sign of the Four, Watson gives the location of the wound as in his leg.[3] In "The Noble Bachelor" Watson refers to the Jezail bullet being "in one of my limbs." These discrepancies have caused debate by Sherlock Holmes fans about which of these locations is the "correct" location of the wound."
The Battle of Maiwand was fought in the Second Anglo-Afghan War on 27 July 1880 -- the year the Mark I Enfield .476 revolver replaced the Adams.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you're bringing up lot's of quotes in our Westerns !!
Blonde - "you're wounded !"
Cowboy - It's nothin' ma'am ,just a flesh wound ! "
dancing

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
"Gringo,you have shot a hole in me." "Well,I would have killed you but I think you moved."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote