Tools

True Grit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Saw the movie on opening day, and thought it was tremendous.

OK, here goes. Everybody pile on.

I am a big John Wayne fan, but I thought the original, as a movie, may have qualified as a contender as worst movie of all time. If it were possible to find two worse actors to bumble through a movie in major roles than Kim Darby and Glen Cambell, it would be hard to imagine. They should haave been banned from the screen.

Maybe it's a local Kentucky thing, but I always thought this was a generally held opinion. I have never met a single person who didn't share this view. I can remember when the original was running, and people were actually laughing and making jokes about it locally. It was a big point of disussion that John Wayne was involved with such a turkey.

I am not trying to start a flame war, but I actually found all these positive comments here surprising.

Kentucky? What country is that in?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Gotta say with all due respect that I never cared much for John Wayne.

I think the Coens should stay away from remakes. This didn't have a Coen Brothers touch in my opinion.

My favorite western is Once Upon a Time in the West.

Modern day, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is an absolute masterpiece. I'm not talking script but cinematography was epic.

I like Pat Garret and Billy the Kid, too. Kristopherson (sp?) was great Coburn was great, Bob Dylan had a neat role and the music was wonderful too...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember when the Saturday Matinee was 35 cents. There were TWO movies and a cartoon, no ads. They don't make movies like that any more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night. I really liked most of the action and the acting of Bridges and Steinfeld. I thought Matt Damon did a better job than Glen Campbell in the original, but that's not saying much. I thought the dialogue in the last half of the movie, whether true to the book or not, was at best stilted and at worst, ridiculous for the era.

I'd give the new version a B+, which is several notches above the John Wayne original, which I haven't seen in years, but I recall it as being passable at best.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw it. Loved it. Better than the original IMHO.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Art....Have always been a John Wayne fan...but come one...How could you not do a better remake....original Grit had to be the worst I have ever seen Wayne in....If not for his name and acting skills that movie would have never made it past the cutting room....Never heard anyone say they liked that movie....sorry guys, sometimes the truth really hurts......

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I liked the movie. Never saw the original but for a few minutes and as much as I like John Wayne thought the movie had such a bad start I never got past the first few minutes.

As much as I dont like the real Matt Damon I thought that Bridges and Damon did well in this.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was great.Went to see it at theater that served beer . I got a snoot full and during the charge scene I pulled my 45 and started helpin'.Damn I love Texas.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tenmikemike
posted Hide Post
Saw it Saturday, loved it.

I'm old, a devoted John Wayne fan and I STILL loved it!

To me most old westerns were too clean. Newer ones are much grittier and actually more realistic looking in both costumes and sets.

NRA Endowment Life member

CZ 550 American 9.3 X 62 Mauser/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 Safari Classic .458 Lott

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me most old westerns were too clean.

Cause they were made in a cleaner era!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
The original was made in 1969....fast forward to 1976,and I was junior in High Shool....My ENGLISH class was about "Reading the book,watch the movie,and then take a test" ....(it was the 70's)

The one question I missed and have never forgotten since,is "What was Rooster Cogburns cat named ?????

Don't cheat !

Jim

Posts: 126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
General Price ?

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Saw the movie on opening day, and thought it was tremendous.

OK, here goes. Everybody pile on.

I am a big John Wayne fan, but I thought the original, as a movie, may have qualified as a contender as worst movie of all time. If it were possible to find two worse actors to bumble through a movie in major roles than Kim Darby and Glen Cambell, it would be hard to imagine. They should haave been banned from the screen.

Maybe it's a local Kentucky thing, but I always thought this was a generally held opinion. I have never met a single person who didn't share this view. I can remember when the original was running, and people were actually laughing and making jokes about it locally. It was a big point of disussion that John Wayne was involved with such a turkey.

I am not trying to start a flame war, but I actually found all these positive comments here surprising.

I too was surprised at the positive comments regarding the original.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
To me most old westerns were too clean.

Cause they were made in a cleaner era!

I think he might be referring to the actors costumes. None of the clothes in the original looked like they had been worn outside of a production studio. Everything was clean and freshly pressed.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and my Sweetie went to see it when it first came out.She is not fond of Westerns ,but agreed with me that this was a great flic!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My wife and I finally went and saw the New movie, and while it was more realistic and the acting was better from the entire cast, I still like the original better.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the new one last night for the first time. It was good. Left out a couple of great lines -- "She reminds me of me", etc. But overall, Bridges was more flawed than Wayne, which was, of course, the point. He did a great job with the part even if the dialogue was a bit stilted, as it was in the book and the original. The shooting, right eye patch, was a bit of a distraction.

While I think the girl did a fantastic job, the scene trading the horses wasn't as good as the original.

I a big fan of John Wayne movies and "True Grit" is a classic, but overall this one's a winner.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the new one last night.

Thought it was good but preferred the original better.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's got to be better than the soon to be released..

Cowboys and Aliens

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote