New
Find
Notify
Tools

NE or CO?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
NY has turned me into a criminal and put my business out of business with the stroke of a pen so I'm being forced to relocate.

I'm looking at a job in NE that would allow me to live in either NE or CO.

Which state has the better gun laws? Any benefits to living in one state over the other in terms of ability to hunt big game?

Any other benefits one has over the other state?

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for Nebraska but CO has Elk, both Mule deer and Whitetails, pronghorn, bear, mountain goats and bighorn sheep, mountain lion, varmints. Shall issue concealed carry, Castle Doctrine state but sure a bunch of Dems. Gov is an idiot Dim. I think where I live is the only county in the state that votes Republican.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As it stands currently Co would likely be a cheaper place to live regarding taxes including sales, personal income tax, and ad val.

Nebraska is a nice state but of the two, especially for hunting, I'd think Co would be a no brainer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Neither's gun laws are as good as Wyoming's and the hunting in Wyoming is terrific.

Cheyenne is near Scottsbluff and Fort Collins, so this is in proximity to both Nebraska and Colorado.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
colo is gonna be hipster liberal soon nuff.
good people most every where, but in the area where the votes come from.
unfortunatly,they outnumber the rest of the state and if they don't now will soon.
utah is getting close to that same 51/49 situation they are 51/49 repub demo now. [they have a strong gun culture however]
nebraska, oklahoma,idaho,montana,north/south dakota, and wyoming are good to look at.
unfortunatly wolves are becoming a hunting issue in the free states.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For long term Gunrights I would look at Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming in that part of the world.

Also look at Texas.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are big whitetails in NE as well as muleys in the western part of the state, and a handful of elk up north (that you have to be a resident to apply for...) They also have prairie dogs and incredible fishing in certain areas. Gun laws to me were pretty much standard from what I could tell...

I spent almost eight months working in Nebraska last year, and I have never met a more friendly, warm, and helpful bunch of folks anywhere. One of them even told me he would take me goose hunting gratis on his $600/year duck and goose lease, and "if the birds aren't flying well, we'll jump in the truck and go find you a big Nebraska whitetail."

I have every reason to believe he meant it, too. I just left before hunting season rolled around...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have not kept up with the Cost Of Living in either state, but I believe living in Nebraska and being able to hunt Colorado or Wyoming would be worth looking at.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neither's gun laws are as good as Wyoming's and the hunting in Wyoming is terrific.

This.

Colorado has good hunting, but the state is filling up fast with Liberals and all the crap they bring with them. Really, they are like rats.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in central Montana every year and spend a bit of time in Billings- beautiful open country, plenty to hunt, the right kind of people, etc. A possible state for you to relocate to.

I live in NYC and will retire in two years at which point I'm going to the farm in NC and will be so outta here it will make your head swim.

I don't earn my living in a gun-related endeavor but it's going to be nigh impossible for a guy like me to obtain a gun here now, and I'll be damned if I'll give them my tax money after this.

They can have it, the place is a sewer governed by rats voted in by less-than-Americans, anyway.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Colorado has good hunting, but the state is filling up fast with Liberals and all the crap they bring with them. Really, they are like rats.

I haven't had the chance to hunt Colorado since 2005, but at that time, it was becoming California North East branch.

Wyoming/Nebraska or South Dakota would be better choices. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet:
quote:

This.

K-22 nailed it.

With the Dems controlling the Governor, house, and senate here, I'm afraid we may see some setback in the near future.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider South Dakota. Benign gun laws, low taxes, great hunting. A very business friendly environment. Rapid City and Sturgis seem to have become a center for firearms related businesses.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 5th generation native of Colorado on my Caucasion side and my family goes back over a thousand years there on my Arapaho side. I've spent nearly my entire life there and go back there as often as I can. My entire family is there. But, if I was you I'd pick NE over CO.

CO has been flooded by IDIOTS from CA. This started about 15 years ago and is ongoing. The entire political ideaology of the state has shifted to very liberal. Mind you, this isn't statewide and the small towns and rural areas are very conservative but the major urban areas have gone liberal and they control the statewide vote. What the Denver/Aurora area, Boulder and Colorado Springs want to push gets pushed into law. The rest the state can't out vote those 3 areas. The Colorado of my youth no longer exists.

NE is another animal compltely. Where I lived in CO was less than 3 miles from the NE state line. NE hasn't been ruined and since it is primarily an agricultural state, the IDIOTS from CA don't move there. It has really goos deer hunting for bith whitetails and mulies, some elk and some pronghorn (but you could go to eithe CO or WY for those), fantastic upland bird hunting, great waterfowl hunting, outstanding predator hunting and some of the nicest people on the planet.

Whatever drove you from NY, will probably also be in CO before the decade is out. So my vote is NE. Matter of fact, I'll be permanently headed back west in a year or two and I'm going to either NE or KS. I'm going to heed my own advice and suggest you do likewise. One word of advice: If you leave NY, then don't take NY with you to the west. Nothing pisses off a westener more than hearing someone say "That's not how we did it in NY (or CA for that matter). We don't give a damn how they do things there. That's why we don't live there!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a Texan, that has done a fair amount of out of state hunting:::

I first hunted in Colorado, then hunted in Wyoming, then hunted in Montana, and then hunted in Idaho.

I have hunted several times in each state, and spent a lot of time in each state.

IF I moved out of Texas, it would be to western Montana, Idaho above the Salmon River or possibly to Wyoming. [I like trees, and most parts of WY do not have them, but the people are nice].

With the new laws that look like they will be passed in Colorado, I may never even drive through there again...

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2: IF I moved out of Texas, it would be to western Montana
Me too, if I could get used to cold weather. TX is still fairly conservative but is gradually changing too. Influx of Californians and others leaving high tax/highly regulated states, only to bring such stupid ideas with them. Hopefully we will secede before things implode here too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well at my age there is very little posibility of me moving out of Texas.

I was born here, lived here all of my life and my wife and her family the same.

However, IF Texas passed ANY assault weapons, or Mag capacity bans, I would move to a "good" state, just as soon as I could pack and sell my place...

Or maybe easier, have a serious effect on the "vote" at the State House...

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Move to NE, co has been kalifornicated to be as bad as NY

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know your job opportunity is in NE, so this will be just a thought and nothing more.

If you are primarily concerned about gun laws and maybe the cultural thing, and I'll throw in this too, if you're concerned about taxes and a pro business environment, then when you leave NY behind in the rear view mirror, head South rather than West.

We in TN have no state income tax and the gun laws are as lenient as it gets and are NOT going to get any stricter until the time when the federal gov't eventually shoves that down everyone's throats (no matter where you live).

And if you like your cultural and political standards on the conservative side, you've also come to the right place. I consider our region the home of that. And it's not likely to change in the foreseeable future. And the state is about as pro business as you'll find.

If you're in W. TN you've got the following. For hunting we are eaten up with whitetails in every direction. On MANY farms you can close your eyes, walk in any direction, look down, and there'll be deer tracks. And you'll find no end of turkey. Lots of wild hogs here too. Especially in N. MS. You also have bear across the river in AR or over in E. TN. For small game you're in the middle of the Mississippi Flyway, I think the best place in the country for ducks and geese, and you're within one day's driving distance of the Gulf coast and the LA bayou country for great fishing and seafood, and you're within one day's drive of pheasants in Kansas, Iowa and South Dakota. You're also within a half day's drive of the cold fast running streams of the Ozark mountains and their rainbow and brown trout. And you're within a couple day's drive to big game out West. Many of us here go to CO for elk, WY for pronghorns etc etc.

Just food for thought...

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
TN would be high on my list too. TX was settled by Tennesseeans (we sound like them too!).

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..T for Texas, T for Tennessee...

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

I haven't had the chance to hunt Colorado since 2005, but at that time, it was becoming California North East branch.

Wyoming/Nebraska or South Dakota would be better choices. JMO.

It was California North East Branch in 1970.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X2 on TN. But I like the Eastern part better.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to consider more then just gun laws. When I lived in CO I could buy a combination Elk/Deer tag right over the counter and hunt them anywhere it was legal. Now I hear they have this suck ass lottery system to get your tags bases on how many points you've accumulated. That sucks. I also didn't think the hunting in CO was all that great. I think the other states named around it are much better for hunting. Another thing to consider too is dangerous weather....like tornadoes! CO and NE both have them big time. Consider too the pain in the ass emission control test and safety inspection. I know CO had the emission test, not sure on safety and not sure what NE had.

Now as to TN. I live in E. TN in the mountains. Absolutely beautiful country. The deer hunting, on the other hand is terrible. Not many deer, most land is posted, and state land sucks. The deer are also German Shepherd size and very very gamey tasting. Also no pigs in my area. Now as you get down towards Nashville deer are plentiful and bigger as mentioned. For me to hunt bigger and more plentiful deer or hunt pig and stay in the state of TN requires many hours of driving. I could drive to south central Ohio and shoot plentiful, bigger, and tastier deer in about the same amount of driving time. One thing we do have in E. TN are bears...plenty of them and really big ones too! My area of TN doesn't have emission or safety inspection nor do we have a state income tax. I've been through NE quite a few time and a few things stuck in my mine. Severe winters and too dang flat for me. Back to CO...yup it has become Kolorado now and is politically corrupt in the large cities like Denver. Denver and Boulder suck.

Weight all your options before just moving on hunting and gun laws.

Oh, one more thing..in E. Tn if you don't have allergies or sinus problems you will get them..guaranteed. It's something to do with th mountains. What's my final opinion on TN? I love it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

Oh, one more thing..in E. Tn if you don't have allergies or sinus problems you will get them..guaranteed. It's something to do with th mountains. What's my final opinion on TN? I love it!!!

I'll have to disagree on the allergies & sinus.
There's very little mold. You forgot to add there isn't many mosquitos or aggravating bugs @ least where I lived between Knoxville & Tri cities. BTW Greenville is a nice area

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTTOMATIC:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

I'll have to disagree on the allergies & sinus.
There's very little mold. You forgot to add there isn't many mosquitos or aggravating bugs @ least where I lived between Knoxville & Tri cities. BTW Greenville is a nice area

I live in a mountainous area where ALL shingle roofs have that black mold and ALL trees and bushes have the scale like fungus. We have millions of gnats and mosquito's. I was told by a biologist I met in the mountain that forests in this area of TN are classified as "rain forests". He said it's not the amount of rain that classifies them as such, but the number of different plant and animal life. I would imagine with the high variety of plants that allergies would be a problem. When we first moved here my son's gym teacher said welcome and y'all will have sinus or allergy problems...so far he is right. This area shares the mountain with NC. NC state line is only 3 miles from me. So I will have to disagree with you. Even the doctors state this fact in this area. Knoxville is a 2 1/2 hour or more drive for me. That's a lot of different terrain inbetween.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has probably long since made his move, but as to the allergies, you can get that anywhere. Excepting maybe Arizona or someplace like it.

We get it here in W. TN and thru out the Delta. I get eaten up too with gnats and mosquits on early season dove shoots and spring turkey hunts.

..did you know the mosquito is the Arkansas state bird?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot one bug TN does have : CHIGGERS
I would rather be stung by a scorpion than have a chigger and have been bit or aggravated by both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering all the new nasty gun laws passed and signed into the the past week CO would be out for me.

I don't think I'll spend any money there,.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote