New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boars' heads in English settings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In several motion pictures I observe boars' heads and capes included in coats of arms. In at least one, "Our Man Flint," it apparently had some sinister connotation. But equally apparently, it was shown to be relevant only in England rather than Great Britain as a whole.

What is the significance, good or evil, of the boar's head in heraldry? Or are boars' heads merely a device to show atmosphere?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Working on assumptions here. I would say that the European boar is a very worthwhile opponent. He WILL kill his attacker if possible. It was truly the sport of kings to 'tentpeg' a boar.Thus a worthy opponent to be respected + feared.Remember that there were no guns,just you + your horse with a lance against an 800 lb.ball of hate with long tusks.For one man to kill him in 1x1 (combat,for lack of a better word) was quite heroic;even more by today's standards.Only my opinion but as usual,I believe it to be true.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
800 lb boar ?? He's talking about European boar not a TX sized one !! wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
In several motion pictures I observe boars' heads and capes included in coats of arms. In at least one, "Our Man Flint," it apparently had some sinister connotation. But equally apparently, it was shown to be relevant only in England rather than Great Britain as a whole.

What is the significance, good or evil, of the boar's head in heraldry? Or are boars' heads merely a device to show atmosphere?

Not only in England - throughout Europe. The boar had a specific meaning in medieval heraldry - quite what that was I can't remember (strength??) - I'm sure the "G" word will provide the answer.

A worthy opponent though for sure.

Some time ago I had a book by JA Hunter (which I sadly gave away) which had on the jacket an ad for another book by Major someone-or-other - "Modern Pig Sticking" (printed 1930s). Raised a smile though!

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote