WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confederate States of America military medals?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have it in my mind that the Confederate States of America issued no military medals during its existence, but I cannot remember where I [think I] got this information. Were medals issued? If there were, please identify them.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they evidently did issue a medal after the war
The Civil War saw the introduction of the first medals of honor for the Army and Navy. The South really had no medals until the Southern Cross of Honor was established after the war. The Confederate Congress approved an act on 13 October 1862 to honor the officers, non-commissioned officers and privates for their valor in the armies of the Confederate States. During the war, however, there were shortages of metals, and many medals were not minted or awarded. The names of these soldiers were, however, recorded in an Honor Roll and preserved in the Adjutant Inspector General's records

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
they evidently did issue a medal after the war
The Civil War saw the introduction of the first medals of honor for the Army and Navy. The South really had no medals until the Southern Cross of Honor was established after the war. The Confederate Congress approved an act on 13 October 1862 to honor the officers, non-commissioned officers and privates for their valor in the armies of the Confederate States. During the war, however, there were shortages of metals, and many medals were not minted or awarded. The names of these soldiers were, however, recorded in an Honor Roll and preserved in the Adjutant Inspector General's records
I'm lost. CSA ceased to exist. How could a non-existent government create/issue/award/authorize medals for a non-existent armed force? Would it be accurate to write CSA authorized medal(s) during its existence but issued none?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Who says the Confederate States of America doesn't still exist?

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 daniel77!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
+1

(Please forgive me for my transgression below, Originally printed from the Editorial Page of The New York Sun, written by Francis P. Church, September 21, 1897)

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.
Yes, Virginia, there is a Confederacy. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Confederacy! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no child-like faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.
Not believe in The Confederacy?! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all along the Mason Dixon Line to see the Confederacy, but even if you did not see it, what would that prove? Nobody sees The Confederacy, but that is no sign that there is no Confederacy. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.
You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.
No Confederacy! Thank God! it lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of childhood and men alike. Indeed, Thank God for the Confederacy.

I lived the first 18 years of my life in Birmingham... (the Confederacy is there, no one should doubt it)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote