Find
Notify
Tools

No Scotch for me
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm just not a Scotch drinker. Stuff tastes awful to me. I really prefer a good martini. Any kindred souls out there?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like Scotch; like wines, each has its own character and level of complexity.

You may find bourbon more to your liking.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with George. Single Malt especially...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Bourbon for me,I have not accuired the taste for Scotch..yet.but I will keep trying.
What is a good single malt?

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try Ardbeg it has a nice Smokey flavor

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich.

Glenlivet is a "Sweeter" Scotch, you might like it.

Glenfiddich has a little bit of peat flavor.

My favorite is Laphroaig. It is really Peaty.

I like Ardbeg too, and Langovulin.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why take the local?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My wife is the scotch drinker - Glenlivet by choice. I on the other hand, have a preference for expensive Tequilas, a truely refined taste.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm okay with scotch, just not my favorite.
Partial to a very dry martini, up, with olives. And, like Lionhunter, fine tequila, over ice, with a just a whisper of lime.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite Scotches are Balvenie 21y.o. Port Wood Finished, Glenlivet Nadurra (cask strength ~122 proof), and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (also Port Wood Finished).

Dalwhinnie is always a good choice, as is Lagavulin 16 y.o.

Look for a Scotch tasting in your vicinity; these are sometimes arranged in conjunction with cigar tastings, if you like fine tobacco.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one thing about Scotch is that they all raste a little different, some a LOT different.

Me, I do not like any Scotch that has been in a Wine Barrel. Yet I do love red wine...

I started with the lighter flavors of Scotch, but soon discovered that I liked the Peaty ones. So my preference is for the ones from the Isle of Islay.

Scotch is an acquired taste.

Many people say that once you go to Scotch, you never go back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I do like a good Tequila over ice.

As well as Bombay Saphire Gin, over ice.
My friend Dick Marcinko "taught" me how to drink Bombay...

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A few years back after a hunt in Scotland I drove up to the Isle of Islay. Went from one distillery to another. Enjoyed them all. A reasonably priced favorite was Bowmore 17. All that said they sure tasted good on the home ground.....it was the best part of that trip.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-914.aspx

I am not a big fan of bourbon but I recently tried a Jim Beam Black and enjoyed it.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hi, my name is Rusty and I'm a Scotch Whisky Drinker! Oops, sorry, wrong meeting! Big Grin

Bill, I like to make myself a "Sakitini". While I have both Bombay Sapphire and Grey Goose, I prefer the Grey Goose. It's basicily a "Dirty Martini" with a cold Saki, instead of Vermouth, and garlic stuffed olives. I also garnish with lemon zest. I like mine "on the rocks".

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony: It was Laphroaig that convinced me I'm no Scotch drinker. It was the night before the contracts final in law school ... and let's just say I didn't become a lawyer ...
Wink
Rusty, you dirty martini recipe sounds delicious!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My first sip of Single Malt Scotch came from a Laphroaig bottle. I thought my friend Jim Uhlig had spiked it with tar resin! It is an acquired taste.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD 20-20 animal

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
As a life long lover of Islay malts, I'm almost ashamed to suggest this.

Penderyn Single Malt whisky is less demanding than many other whiskies but it is now one of my favourites.

It is Welsh. Eeker CRYBABY

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
As a life long lover of Islay malts, I'm almost ashamed to suggest this.

Penderyn Single Malt whisky is less demanding than many other whiskies but it is now one of my favourites.

It is Welsh. Eeker CRYBABY

So am I. I hear it blurs your boo- ...uh, vision.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make mine

Rye,

best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
I'm okay with scotch, just not my favorite.
Partial to a very dry martini, up, with olives. And, like Lionhunter, fine tequila, over ice, with a just a whisper of lime.

To each their own, I guess. Ice and lime in fine tequila is akin to a fine single malt with a slash of 7-Up; it just isn't done stir

Geedubuya, before I reached my lifetime exposure limit to alcohol Rye was my go-to also. Usually Jim Beam. If you can find it, buy a bottle of Hirsch Selection 22 Yr Old. Amazing flavor!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding anything to my good single malt is akin to slapping the pope. My favorites are Laphoaig, Lauvalin, and Balvenie double wood. I figure if it needs anything added it wasn't right to begin with.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Tony: It was Laphroaig that convinced me I'm no Scotch drinker. It was the night before the contracts final in law school ... and let's just say I didn't become a lawyer ...
Wink
Rusty, you dirty martini recipe sounds delicious!

Sorry Bill. IF you had drank Glenlevit you would be a modern day Perry Mason now...

A fella has to work his way up to Laphroaig...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olbiker,

I have been known to succumb in the arms of Bacchus

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice plastic cup, Geedubya! dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you should keep your stomach guessing at all times! maybe scotch, vodka, gin , beer. etc... keep it guessing!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GWB

Nice Ringtailed Cat. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Jack daniels, but I like about any good Whisky (wiskey?) If any of you Rye drinkers ever get the the chance, there is a Rye made in Iowa called, Templeton Rye. It is excellent, but unfortunately made in way too small quantities, and hard to get. Legend has it, back in the Prohibition days, Al Capone would send his guys to western Iowa just to pick up some Templeton. Good stuff.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of malt whisky but for years but for some time, didn't really know how to differentiate them and then the saint bought me a wonderful book on malts called 'The Malt Whisky File' by John Lamond and Robin Tucek and it explained everything in simple terms.

The book tells us that Scottish malt whiskies fall into a series of regional catagories as far as taste is concerned and if you know the flavours you prefer, it's easier to select a malt that will be to your own particular taste.

Personally, I don't think there's a 'best' malt region let alone a 'best' malt at all. I reckon they're all godd but all very different.

My own personal favourites are Islay malts and my own favourite Islay malt is an Ardbeg...... but that's only my personal choice.

The label on the bottle will always tell you what region the malt comes from.

The regions and characteristics are:

Islay: From the island of Islay. The most pungent and heavily peated with flavours of the sea with a distinct peaty/smoky & slightly seaweedy flavour.

Lowland: Dry, light and spirity.

Northern Highland: Sweet, delicate and mellow with lots of subtle flavours in the background.

Speyside: Very sweet, fruity and almost honey like in many cases. These ones have a very distinct smell.

Eastern Highlands: From the area between the North Sea and Speyside. Dry & full bodied with a very fruity flavour and slightly smoky.

Perthshire: Comes from the part of the highlands that borders the lowlands. Usually medium sweet, clean light and fruity.

Island: From Skye, Jura, Mull & Orkney. Similar to Islay but less peaty/smoky and often slightly sweeter and less subtle.

Campletown: Smoky and slightly salty.... somewhere between Lowlands & Highlands.

One piece of advice the book also gives is to try adding some good quality spring water (which is called releasing the dragon). This REALLY does let all the subtle flavours of the malt loose and is the difference between a black and white movie and a colour one.

The book also recommends not adding ice to any malt...... and IMO both pieces of advice are dead right.

Then there's Japanese malts and Irish malt (whiskey) which are different again. - I've never tried Japanese malts but am told they're good.... although I understand the Japanese usually drink theirs with ice.

How's that for a bunch of useless info. rotflmo beer

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve: I realize there is a lot of history and regional specialization in the Scotch malts. But I am a lazy drinker, it appears, and rather than engage in a rigorous research programme for a drinkable Scotch, I'm afraid I will just order a nice dry martini, shaken, not stirred, and call it good. Juniper is my friend. Peat is not ...

beer

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I enjoy an occasional dry (vodka) martini myself..... but in recent years have gone right off of gin.

although as the lady said, women need to careful of Martinis:

I love to drink martinis,
Two, at the very most,
Three, I'm under the table,
four, I'm under the host!

rotflmo

A good Islay malt whisky will always be my favourite though. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to develop a taste for the strong peaty, smoky Scotch. I do; however, love a good Irish whisky. It has become my most often imbibed during most of the year. In the summer on the sailboat though it's gin and tonic with lime.

Any suggestions on a Scotch that's smooth and mellow like Irish?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
I've never been able to develop a taste for the strong peaty, smoky Scotch. I do; however, love a good Irish whisky. It has become my most often imbibed during most of the year. In the summer on the sailboat though it's gin and tonic with lime.

While far from an expert I also like Irish whisky. Try Glenlivet, I find it similar to a good Irish. Grins its hard to go very wrong.

tu2

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My wife's uncle keeps trying to educate me about good Scotch, and he's found a few unique brands trolling thru the liquor stores in PA. I'd have to admit that the Balvenie was pretty good.

If given my druthers I'll take a couple fingers of aged Patron or Herradura neat in a highball glass and leave the Scotch for those with more gentlemanly tastes. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve

That is good info.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rick makes a good suggestion!

Try Balvenie Doublewood or Portwood. - Look out for price though as one is helluva lot more expensive than the other.... can't remember which though!

Balvenie is a Speyside malt and fairly sweet, full bodied and mellow and although very different to it's neighbour, Glenfiddich, it is IMO miles nicer.

CrossL recommended glenlivet which is also a speyside malt. Slightly sweeter but still well worth trying and usually a good price.

Bill,

If you like limes in your booze, I have a surplus of the bloody things for about 8 months of every year! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadian Whisky (with no "e"). Probably in part because I'm 3rd generation removed French-Canuck.

My grandfather had a gold rimmed tumbler w/ a Canada Goose on the side. (I have it now, along with the set, Grouse, China Pheasant, and Mallard.)

Canada Goose was his favored glass. The goose is flying, bill elevated as if he's climbing. Grandpa would fill the glass up to the goose's bill. "Gotta give that ol' goose a sip too!" he'd say . . .

Unfortunately, or perhaps we're a better man because of it, my pancreas and liver were packing their bags and threatening to leave home. I stopped ALL ETOH Aug. 14, 2008.

We're down about 25 lbs and 12% body fat since October, 2010. And no longer "borderline Type 2 Diabetes."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rothke,
Great story.
Good to hear that your health is improving.

A few years back I tried out a new doc that I met riding bikes.
First time I saw him I said, Doc I gotta get into shape. His retort was, GW, round is a shape.

I knew right away that I was gonna like this guy.

After we talked a while he told me that If I was a tee-totaler, he would not make the following recommendation. He said he would like to see me have the equivalent of two mixed drinks a day, wine preferably.
I said Doc, that's not a hard prescription to fill.
I have been following his directive religiously for the last 5 years.

Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to think I didn't have "a drinking problem."

I wasn't missing work (retired), or connections, could afford it, not falling down the stairs nor setting the kitchen on fire (I did spill a quart of cooking oil on the burner and it flamed up -- but we used to be a fireman, so it was "under control" sorta . . . )

I don't drive when I'm drinking, or vice versa.

I'm not ignoring my wife (not married), nor depriving the children (not a parent), I don't black-out or wake up and wonder where I am. I don't get too hung over.

I did, the week before I stopped, go through TWO of the "big bottles" of Canadian in about five days. I was that second bottle and a note from my docs that got my attention.

I figured it was "under control" -- the "functional drunk" paradigm. Liver and pancreas put the screws to that notion.

I don't "go to meetings." I'm not a collaborative, meeting attending sort of person.

We're down 25 lbs. I'm headed out now for a walk -- 3 miles, fast, up the hills behind the coffee house.

Here's the blog:

http://allisonwunderlandblog.blogspot.com/

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
About the only Irish whiskey we get out here is J&B (blended & not malt).... I don't think I've ever seen an Irish malt here at all......and sure as hell never seen any Canadian whisky here.