New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Would YOU Do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Walterhog, gee where on heavens earth did you get that handle(name)?

Ok I would like to purchase a big game caliber like the .458-Lott to hunt Africa with but my wife says I don't need such a rifle. Not since I have a great gun like her father's, the 30-06 Springfield.

How can I convince my wife that this is a necessary rifle for Africa hunting and the cost is really nothing to what you and your boss use on your hunts.

Do I get a new wife, or just find a girlfriend that will support my hunting wants? Ummmmmmm I need you expertise on this matter asap.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Your wife is right. Sounds like she has a great deal of common sense. Wink

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
but my wife says I don't need such a rifle. Not since I have a great gun like her father's, the 30-06 Springfield.

You might reaffirm her appreciation of her father's 30-06 Springfield and reassure her that you would never think of taking that irreplaceable heirloom to Africa.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
but my wife says I don't need such a rifle. Not since I have a great gun like her father's, the 30-06 Springfield.

You might reaffirm her appreciation of her father's 30-06 Springfield and reassure her that you would never think of taking that irreplaceable heirloom to Africa.

I'd handle it a different way.

Take her father's Springfield and have it re-barreld to 458 Lott. Then point out that, since you saved so much money by not getting a new gun, you have earned the right to take it to Africa for a field test just to be sure the conversion was done properly.

After all, wouldn't want Daddy's gun to be damaged by a bad conversion.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Load a round with a caseful of red dot and tying the rifle to a tree hide behind a boulder and pull the trigger with a long string.

Rub dirt on yourself and gell your hair back radiating from an imaginary point just above your right ear.

Dab some ketchup on your clothes and have your buddy drive you home clinging to some of the larger bits.

When your wife answers the door pull the bolt out of your ass and tell her you're buying a modern .458.

Job done.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Book Cape Buffalo hunt in a country with a minimum calibler requirement. Tell her Sorry honey, it's the Law.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote