New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yuengling beer.. Anyone on here enjoy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Try as I might, there is no chance of getting the heavenly stuff out here in the west..

I spent six months in Charleston,SC back in '03 and was introduced to the stuff at a local watering hole. Some mighty tasty suds. Seems that this beer is ONLY sold in 13 eastcoast states and nowhere else. I know, we've tried anywhere and everywhere to get some sent out here..no go!

Ah well, I suppose if it was as easy as running down to the local Circle K and picking up a 6 pack it wouldn't have that "special" feeling the rare times we are able to get a couple.

Anyone else on here enjoy this brew?

Dry mouthed out here in partched AZ..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About the best stuff I ever drank.

Posts: 22 | Location: W. KENTUCKY | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I drink it fairly regularly. It's one of my go-to beers.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY..!!!

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
For once, I can brag that we have something in Alabama. The pale lager is very good as is the dark. I like both.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! We didnt get it in GA for a long time even though stores in surrounding SC, AL and FL stocked it. There was a petition going around the internet that everyone was signing called "Bring Yeungling to GA". I dont know if that really had anything to do with it coming here or not, but a few months after I saw and signed the petition, Yeungling indeed came to GA. Maybe yall out to give that a try in your state!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you are talking about Lager or Black and Tan. Both wonderful PA beers. Another favorite of mine is Straubs, from St Marys. it's lighter and sweeter, totally different from the full flavor Yuenglings. Yuengling makes another caledl Premium, which is better now than it used to be, but still not a favorite.
When I used to go to a hunting camp up near White Deer, we would go down to a bar about midweek to get some different food and a beer. There was no drinking in camp. The guys I hunted with were Dutchmen, and were men of firmly held opinions. We went in and ordered our food and one of the guys asked for a bottle of Black and Tan. The bartender looked at him and said, "Now looky here Dutchie, you're gonna drink the last five bottles of that Yuengling Premium that I got last year for you guys, before you drink anything else." Premium was not a big seller back then.
Gotta Love Lager, a bowl of Wheaties in every bottle.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Great Beer

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good beer. One of my favorites.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't drink it a whole lot, but now and then...and I live here in Pottsville...the home of Yuengling. My parents owned two bars here from 1950 to 1975 and I know Dick Jr very well. I have many friends that work at both the old and new bottling plants. Dick Jr is a great businessman but a very hard person to work for...can be very arrogant. He raised his daughters to be just like him...difficult. My youngest son drinks the Premium beer. Dick is expanding the company...slowly. He wants to "sneak" up on the big boys...like I said, he is a sharp businessman and is flying under the radar. He did NOT inherit the company like many think....he had to buy it from his father...and his daughters will do the same, which is why he has them deep into the business. Dick Jr. ain't no office-n-tie guy as he frequently works out on the floor driving fork-trucks and "rollin" barrels. He is one owner who knows what is going on in his company. Just to show how ballsy this guy is he thumbed his nose at the union shop and "bought-out" every employee to vote the union out...offered better pay and benefits if they vote the union out...and the employees did just that. He did it very openly stating it's his company and he will do whatever he wants. It is illegal as hell...but Dick did not care one bit....and guess what..........the union went away silently. Dick made good on his promise too. I can tell stories about D.G. Yuengling and Son all day long. He does brew some very good beer and it's a shame he don't grow the company faster...but he owes $$ to nobody and several times told much larger brewing companies interested in buying him out to screw off. I respect him for that.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Another great Pennsylvania brewer is the Victory Brewing Co. They have an outstanding collection of beers.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well tell Dick to start selling out here in AZ!! There are a few of us who thoroughly enjoy his product but cannot get it unless someone we know makes a trip east and brings us back a 6 pack..

We've gone to all the big name wine/spirit stores out here and they all say the same.."they (yuengling) refuse to sell outside of their small eastcoast range". Seems we aren't the only ones who have tried.

Lucky devils!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will put the bug in Dick Jr's. ear but don't hold your breath. Know any trustworthy long haul truckers navigating interstate 78 or 80/81?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately not, Woodrow.. I don't know any truckers personally..

Reason I brought this up was that I had a coworker that had a business meeting to attend in Atlanta for the week and we made sure he brought us back a 6 pack on his return a few days back.. Prior, I hadn't had a yuengling in probably 4 years before then.. And before that, I had it most daily whilst I had 6 months to kill back in '03 in Charleston, SC.

One of my more fond memories (along with the Charleston beauties I shared a few with) of the eastern coastine..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the distinct advantage of living within 40miles of where the stuff is made.

And there are two kinds of watering hole around here...

Those that serve "Vitamin Y" (usually on draft) and those that are no longer in buisness.

And while my brother can get the stuff in the community of unwashed heathen where he now lives (Casper Wyoming)
whenever I make the trip out there there is areserves spot in my truck for four or five cases of the blessed elixir to make the trip with me...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy a visit to one of my best friends place at Orange Beach, Alabama. Seems at his beach house he always keeps a good supply of Ice Cold Yuengling beer. I don't see it here in Texas. Goes down really smooth watching the sun set on the beach.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Another great Pennsylvania brewer is the Victory Brewing Co. They have an outstanding collection of beers.

I've never had Victory's beer but Yuengling is a damn fine beer. I really wish I/we could get it in Texas.

OTOH I think Rolling Rock tastes terrible and that is my polite description.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone know what variety the Dark is and/or post a photo of the label.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Dick Jr. ain't no office-n-tie guy as he frequently works out on the floor driving fork-trucks and "rollin" barrels. He is one owner who knows what is going on in his company.

I can vouch for that statement. My neighbor and I took a brewery tour a few years ago. Near the end, the tour guide told us to look to our right. She said see the guy in the crisp longsleeve shirt with his tie tucked in between the buttons? That's Dick Yuengling himself! He was filling in on the box line for a worker who went to Good Friday's stations of the cross. I had a new found respect for the name Yuengling after witnessing that. How many other CEO's would be out playing golf on a sunny April Friday holiday afternoon? Not Dick.

Having 2 cups of brewery fresh beer in their tasting room after the tour was a distinct pleasure. The plastic cups...not so much.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo: Plus one on Rolling Rock. Yuck. But then I'm kind of spoiled living out here on the Microbrew Coast ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dark stuff can be either Black and Tan which, I think, is Premium and Porter mixed or can be can be just Porter.
My Grandad was hurt in a steel mill accident where he was knocked off a power pole by a short of heavy direct current that ran a ladle. The Dr. told him to drink a bottle of beer and a bottle of Porter every day. He mixed them and had half for breakfast and half for dinner every day until about three months before he died. It was two weeks before his hundredth birthday. Vitamin Y, good for what ales you!
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, Black Fly.. I guess I'd better get on finding me a seller of "Y" out here soon and get a headstart on the fountain of youth!

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me thirsty!

Oh good, I't St. Patrick's day.... dancing

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Oh aye, proper drunk.... beer

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
oh but that is irish traveling drunk, i wont be able to stand for a week after, ok since it is you clap

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I grew up just outside of Philly in Bucks County, and moved back to the area in August of last year. Yuengling was the beer we always drank.

When I moved to VA in 1999, I couldn't get the stuff, but then it slowly made its way down there. Then Yuengling either bought or took over a brewery in Florida, and started selling to Disney and other southern states. It would be ashame if the beer wasn't eventually distributed to all of the Union...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Dick Jr. ain't no office-n-tie guy as he frequently works out on the floor driving fork-trucks and "rollin" barrels. He is one owner who knows what is going on in his company.

I can vouch for that statement. My neighbor and I took a brewery tour a few years ago. Near the end, the tour guide told us to look to our right. She said see the guy in the crisp longsleeve shirt with his tie tucked in between the buttons? That's Dick Yuengling himself! He was filling in on the box line for a worker who went to Good Friday's stations of the cross. I had a new found respect for the name Yuengling after witnessing that. How many other CEO's would be out playing golf on a sunny April Friday holiday afternoon? Not Dick.

Having 2 cups of brewery fresh beer in their tasting room after the tour was a distinct pleasure. The plastic cups...not so much.

There is an old Sicilian proverb that translates roughly to: The Best fertilizer for a Vinyard is the owners footprint"

It is a philosophy that Dick apparrently is familiar with.

"Porter" is as dark as Yuengling gets
"Black & Tan" is a mix of their Porter and Lager

Around here if you simply ask for "lager" a glass of Yuengling is what you get.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
OTOH I think Rolling Rock tastes terrible and that is my polite description.

Rolling Rock is no longer made in PA. Anheiser Busch (Budweiser) bought the brand and closed the Latrobe brewery. It is now made in New Jersey. No I have no good reason to drink it.

Yuengling is good stuff, the only beer I drink, but only a sixpack or two a year. You can't buy beer at a grocery store or convenience store here, and I never remember to go to the beer store.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I was told a few years ago that any beer that made any significant inroad in to the market in general was quietly bought up by Budweiser and became part of their empire.

Not sure where the new European owners are on that business technique.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All we Drink

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those that can't buy the stuff locally, but for the last two years I get a couple cases from a friend that goes home to PA twice a year or so... It's damnded good beer. I actually considered having a few semi-loads trucked over here to WI as we love our beer in this part of the country and I doubt you'd be able to keep it in stock.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drinking a Black and Tan as I type this.

Cheers Y'all

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yuengling

I'm afraid I'll be taking a contrary view, not to mention reopening an older thread to do so. As a resident of the beer Mecca of the Pacific Northwest, I am not a fan of Yuengling. Their offerings are just not to my personal tastes. Many is the time when on the East Coast I've found it (or Blue Moon) to be the only beers resembling micro brews on tap. So, I do drink it, but find myself a bit disappointed.

As my taste runs more to the heavily hopped IPAs, I understand I could be in the minority. Also, we are spoiled out here in that even supermarkets and many convenience stores carry a good variety of micros.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote