WALTER'S OWN

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are other Metal Heads listening to???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
Here are some lines from Metallica’s Whisky in The Jar (not a fan of Garage Inc BTW)…

Some men like a fishing
Some men like a fowling
Some men like to hear the cannon ball a roaring

I fall into the later category…

I prefer audible lyrics, if any…
I prefer melodic styles of metal…
I do like themed albums and bands (i.e. Leviathan being based on Moby Dick)…
But it must be heavy, brutal, and basically be the equivalent of amphetamines for my ears!!!

You do realize "Whiskey in the Jar" is originally a Thin Lizzy song, right? Talk about a rocking band back in the day!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Here are some lines from Metallica’s Whisky in The Jar (not a fan of Garage Inc BTW)…

Some men like a fishing
Some men like a fowling
Some men like to hear the cannon ball a roaring

I fall into the later category…

I prefer audible lyrics, if any…
I prefer melodic styles of metal…
I do like themed albums and bands (i.e. Leviathan being based on Moby Dick)…
But it must be heavy, brutal, and basically be the equivalent of amphetamines for my ears!!!

You do realize "Whiskey in the Jar" is originally a Thin Lizzy song, right? Talk about a rocking band back in the day!

Actually it's a old Irish song that's been covered by allot of different bands...

The Metallica version is just the most recent that I familar with...again I really did not like Garage inc and was just referencing the lyrics to make a point...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Ummm....no one has mentioned Black Label Society, Zack Wylde. What gives?

Close your office door (or, if you live in a cube, put on your headphones). Then, check out "Fire it up", "Crazy Horse" and others on You Tube.

You'll never be the same.

You're welcome.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Yes Edmond! Rammstein!!!! I was just wondering when someone was going to bring those guys up!
They played live here in Austalia just a couple of weeks ago and rocked everyones socks off.
Also, Eisbecher, Megaherz, Oomph and many others.
Neue Deutsche Härte is where it's at.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danzig tu2

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Best live show you will ever see. I never miss Lemmy when he comes to town tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
This is taking me back to my teen years in the 80's.

Recently replaced my lost vinyl copy of Saxon's The Eagle has Landed. I say Saxon was like soccer, appreciated all over the world....except the USA. Saw Biff and the boys with Maiden back in 83 in Houston. Arrived late so we missed Fastway.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saxon is pretty good... Everybody Up!!!

I like Accept also...in the same vein of Metal I think...

Fast As a Shark is an awesome song...in the score to the movie Demons...The hero is riding around a movie theatre on a dirt bike cutting off demons heads with a samurai sword...dosen't get much more 80's than that!!!

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
schelmish CHAOS

allways get my urge to go out and rape and pillage juices flowing.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
amon amarth is allso heard in the workshop quite a lot Smiler

cheers

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
amon amarth is allso heard in the workshop quite a lot Smiler

cheers

peter

YES!!!!!!!

tu2

This is the type of METAL I'm talking about!!!!!!!!

Twilight of the Thunder God is probably my favorite song.....Death in Fire is awesome also...

Hard driving, heavy, f***ing relentless, and they are singing about vikings!!!!

Amon Amarth has a new albulm coming out this month!!!

Rock on my Viking Brother!!!!!! knife

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
if you like viking metal, i will see if i can find a few other artists from around here.

and spring is coming, actually it comes this weekend, so sharpen your sword and get ready to start the long boats again, the horizon is calling Smiler

cheers

peter

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I grew up a big Deep Purple fan I listen to Red and Godsmack nowdays.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spring is coming.

It comes this weekend, so sharpen your sword and get ready to start the long boats again!

The horizon is calling!

Pillagings,

Peter Bloodletterson

And A propos Twilight of The Thunder God by Amon Amarth, here's a little number by a Swedish four piece that one or two of you may recognise:

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I grew up a big Deep Purple fan I listen to Red and Godsmack nowdays.

Mate I think you've fallen in with the wrong crowd with this lot about.

The gulf between Deep Purple to Amon Amarth, though I struggle for an analogy, can be likened to that between a hamster and a rabid nine foot stoat.

Run for the hills!

(sorry)

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
mate dont run, you will only be tired when we catch you anyway Smiler

i like your analogy, and must remember to take you to a concert this year, it is great fun and the beer is plentyfull.

cheers

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gulf between Deep Purple to Amon Amarth, though I struggle for an analogy, can be likened to that between a hamster and a rabid nine foot stoat.

animal

I've got nothing against ABBA...

Funny story sort off... When I was in Zim two years ago after I killed a cape buff cow the game scout and I hung back while the others went for the Land Rover...

He didn't have much to say and after sitting around in the heat for an hour or so listening to the flys buzzing arounf the cows carcass I'd thought I'd strike up conversation...

Figuring Music would be interesting I asked what he listened to... "ABBA" he said and then began sining "Dancing Queen"... Though I had no idea of what he'd say that's not what I expected...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you like viking metal, i will see if i can find a few other artists from around here.

I'd like to hear any recomendations you have..

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
How about some hardcore Finnish folk metal:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

and spring is coming, actually it comes this weekend, so sharpen your sword and get ready to start the long boats again, the horizon is calling Smiler

cheers

peter

Peter,

Amon Amarth's new albulm just came out...

Surtur Rising...

Very strong follow up to Twilight of the Thunder God...

If you give it a listen let me know what you think...

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

animal

I've got nothing against ABBA...

Funny story sort off... When I was in Zim two years ago after I killed a cape buff cow the game scout and I hung back while the others went for the Land Rover...

He didn't have much to say and after sitting around in the heat for an hour or so listening to the flys buzzing arounf the cows carcass I'd thought I'd strike up conversation...

Figuring Music would be interesting I asked what he listened to... "ABBA" he said and then began sining "Dancing Queen"... Though I had no idea of what he'd say that's not what I expected...

You know, that's almost spooky.

I had exactly the same experience but with ABBA's "Gimmie gimmie gimmie (a man after midnight)" from the least likely 6 foot 9, veteran of the Angolan bush war, scarred and imposing ABBA fan I ever met in my life. He was singing along about 3 octaves lower and sounded like an amorous mudslide..... Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
How about some hardcore Finnish folk metal

I saw this Finnish folk metal/Viking rock band a few years ago, they too play accordian and electric violin. Strange at first but very melodic and sort of addictive.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, Let's start the meeting.

My name is Rick

And I'm a Metal Head.

But, playing ability is what matters.

Virtuosity with impeccable taste:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dio's lead Vivian Campbell

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Sabbath with Dio is a sacrilidge. Disturbed is mighty fine and avenge seven fold does it too. Acacia strain, mastadon, but why do all that when you can put your head in a garbage can, hit it with a stick and scream?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
While not in the "metal" vein, I am not surprised that nobody ever mentions Steve Morse when guitars are discussed.
I can only suggest that you all youtube search him, Dixie Dregs, The Dregs, and Steve Morse Band.
In fact, Guitar Player magazine had to exclude him from the Guitarist of the Year award so Satriani and Vai could win jumping

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
but why do all that when you can put your head in a garbage can, hit it with a stick and scream?

HAHA...

That's usually what I do while listening to Metal...!

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sabbath with Dio is a sacrilidge.

bsflag

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Hey Rub, I get that alot from the Dio guys. That's OK I won't hold it against any of them including you. Music is funny that way, sorta like whiskey, women and cars.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Rub, I get that alot from the Dio guys. That's OK I won't hold it against any of them including you. Music is funny that way, sorta like whiskey, women and cars.
beer

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
One of the best LIVE bands I've ever seen. You don't realize how good they are until you go out and buy an ax and a 100 watt amp and try and learn how to play these songs yourself, the speed is amazing.