Notify
Tools

Suicide Might Be the ONLY Answer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On a lighter note...

When it comes to Music;
I have always been a Rock and Roll kind of guy, just short of Heavy Heavy Metal, NO Rap...

Beach Boys, Beatles, BeeGees, Moody Blues, Chicago, Doors, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, and on to Evenescence, which is currently one of my favorites...

When growing up my dad was a Country Western fan. I hated that crap...

Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, the Grand Ole Opery, those TV shows drove me out of the house on Sat nights...

Well OK I did like Marty Robbins, even back then...

However, I am watching TV now and they have one of those infomercials on the 258 Best Country Western hits...

I have not heard a single song that I do not like yet. shocker

WHAT is happening to me??? Confused

Now I still love my R&R stuff, but what is with this Golden Age of Country???

Please help me I am falling...

I turned 21 in Prison doing life with out parole...

If you got the money honey I got the time...

AND

Bob Wills is still the King...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the question???? Eeker

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Question IS, how could I, begin to start liking Classic Country Western Music???

Could this really be the Beginning of the End, the END of DAYS???

The Apocolyspe, the Rapture???

The fullfilment of the Myan Calendar???

Dogs and Cats sleeping together???

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not unusual. Rock'n'Roll sprang from a combination of styles in the 1950's, not the least of which was known as "rock-a-billy". Many of the original rock-n-rollers were crossover artists - Carl Perkins, the Everly Brothers, Conway Twitty and even the King himself, Elvis Presley.

I also consider myself an early rock-n-roller but do enjoy what we now call C&W. I even recently purchased "Legends of COUNTRY Classic Hits of the 50's, 60's & 70's", a three disc set with 57 songs from the likes of Patsy Cline, hank Williams, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynn and many more. It's great stuff and goes well with my collections by the Beatles, Ricky Nelson, Bob Dylan, the Everly Brothers, the Police, the Beach Boys and many more!

So, welcome aboard.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion Hunter

I think that is what they were advertising in the show I just watched.

I either need to buy it, or buy some "grass, and some LSD", and listen to 24 hours of Iron Butterfly, Doors, and Cat Stevens [before he went muslum]...

Problem is, where I now live, I have a better chance of buying Meth, or Moonshine.

Maybe a little "Bethoven", 9th symphony, would mellow me out... I think I still have My Clockwork Orange album around here somewhere...

Maybe some RUSH...
And then there is Tangerine Dream....
I have seen them in person. There stuff is awsome.

I might just be SAVED...

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It don't matter who's in Austin,
Bob Wills is still The King!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at Buck Owens- he worked every damn day of his life and wrote hits, his and everyone else's.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Geez, I guess I have no music sense at all. I always considered the roots of R&R to lie in Rythm & Blues (as we and the early Rock radio stations used to call it). And I just consider the Beach Boys as "pop" but certainly not bona fide R&R.

Oh well. Time distorts everything, even music history.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
WHAT is happening to me??? Confused

Sounds to me like you finally got straight. It takes some more time than others but welcome to the club. Cool

I was a diehard rock and roll fan. But years ago I broke up with a gal and found that every song on the rock stations reminded me of her. So I switched to country and have never gone back. That was about 1986 or so. I still enjoy some rock, but the radios in all my trucks are tuned to C&W stations and it seems that almost all my CDs are C&W.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am as eclectic in my music tastes as any one living. The only form of music(????) I do not like is Rap.

I enjoy all sorts of stuff, Willie, ZZTop, Jimmy Buffet, The Eagles, The Beattles, Dylan. some stuff just sounds good.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
What is happening to you ?

You are becoming your father .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I look back I have worn a white sport coat...
I always wear a BIG Iron on my Hip..

And I have been to El Paso...

I like Mexican Maidens...

And I married a Devil Woman...

What does it all mean???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mean even today, I was listening to the radio, and I had to ask myself "How come they don't play no Tammy Wynette???"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can only consider suicide if you wake up with Hillary Clinton or Obummer in bed with you. Music has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
450, maybe it's all the hot chicks of country music? Faith Hill, Reba McEntire, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, etc...

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those songs got imbedded into to your mind when you were a kid and times seemed better, little stress.
Now when you hear the songs memories of those times come back and give comfort.
So just listen, remember and smile.

Mark

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Get yourself an iPod and put all your favorite music on it. Plug it into your car's stereo and you feel fine! Works for me. Also XM offers all those Country Classics on their very own channel!
XM channel 56 Willie's Roadhouse and channel 60 Outlaw Country. You'll feel right at home!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a young age I discovered that Shit Kicking Music and Honky Tonks belonged together.Don`t question why,just enjoy!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heck even in the rock and roll days, I liked most what everyone coined as 'rockabilly'...

if it was popular in the south, I loved it..

Memphis blues, country, southern rock..

also love anything Celtic...

all that is in my blood lines...

we really enjoy a great station here, KRRM " the cream of REAL country and Western Music" is their slogan...

they play A to Z of older country stuff... and what is really cool, is to hear songs that have been popular under the rock and roll banner, yet hear them sung by groups from way back...

and example, I heard yesterday..

everyone knows George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers.. " Move it on Over, the Bad Dog's Moving in" song...

heard it sang yesterday on a record by "the Brothers Maddox and Sister Rose".. recorded in 1935!

KRRM plays a lot of stuff like that.. plus plenty of folks like Lacy J Dalton... they call her the Sweetheart of KRRM...

last night they played her singing "16th Avenue", which I love...especially sang by her..

I'll close with that...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Don't forget David Allan Coe.

The loudmouth in the corner's gettin to me...

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450, I find myself in the same camp. I grew up listening to zep, rush, blue oyster, nuge, ac/dc.... I now find my truck station tuned to country more often than not. I still kick it up with rock, but it is at least 50/50. I also have been tuning in Evanescence recently. I just thought I was getting old.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys might like this radio station not far from where I live.
I listen to it a lot. Kind of a quirky mix of different genres
http://www.wwhp.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry until you can tell us what the phrase:

"take it away Leon..." means, and who said it.

Rich

I drove home this afternoon from the gunshop listening to the 17 minute long version of "Riders On The Storm..."

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony, I woke up one morning realizing just how much I love good pedal steel. Let's just say that a lot of us really do grow wiser with age!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Don't worry until you can tell us what the phrase:

"take it away Leon..." means, and who said it.

Rich

I drove home this afternoon from the gunshop listening to the 17 minute long version of "Riders On The Storm..."

Bob Wills and Leon McAuliffe?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter

Actually I just heard that phrase on You Tube as I was searching some Bob Wills songs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Quit eating the worm at the bottom of the bottle! shame

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
465H&H

Way back in the day, way, way, before my Scotch days, I have eaten many a worm, many many a worm. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock and roll here b ut someone said Reba??

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
Reba is my fiery redheaded queen , I love that voice. I crank her up in the big truck and drive all night. I also grow up with Rock and still listen to that same era also. I like country rock a little better now. That rap crap just plain sucks!!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And Hank sr.! tu2 I still prefer rock.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Beethoven to Led Zepplin. tu2
If you can't whistle or hum it, it ain't music. That takes care of the rap crap. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450ODAY,

you win the prize. In the summer of 1974 I rode down to Gilly's to see Bob and the Texas Playboys live...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like both kinds of music: Both Country and Western.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you ever heard of Johnny Bush?
(the original "Whiskey River" & "Green Snakes On The Ceiling" to mention a few. Also fyi: Johnny Bush was in Willie Nelson's original band.
There ain't no better dancing music.
By the way He'll be playing this coming
month at Anhalt Dance Hall (southeast of Boerne on Hwy. 46)
on Sat. June 30th, 2012.
You'll come now...you hear!
You know old Western singers age and die much more gracefully than old rock stars. I saw the Ronnie Montrose post and he didn't look anything like when I saw him at Municipal Auditorium in San Antonio.
Back in 1977.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it legal in Texas to mention Bee Gees and rock and roll in the same sentence???

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was a little younger, I used to go to a bar in Ft. Worth to listen to Al Stricklin play the piano. No one can come close to the legendary Western Swing music of Bob Wills. San Antonio Rose, Faded love and my favorite, Big Balls in Cowtown, if those did not get you to moving, something is wrong.

I think it was 1975 one Friday night we went to see Al Stricklin and Saturday night we went to see Pink Floyd in Dallas.

Yes i guess i like all types of Music.

quote:
Is it legal in Texas to mention Bee Gees and rock and roll in the same sentence???

Not a good idea. Wink One morning seceral years ago my wife and I left South Padre headed home, it was just breaking sun-up and I had the radio on XM-46, classic rock. We were driving through the King Ranch where you can go about 80 miles or so and not see but a couple of homes, when I heard the promo on the radio "XM 46, Top Tracks,
Where Disco Still Sucks" I was pulling our fifth wheel and thought I was going to run off the road.

Any of you guys from down south ever been to the Quihi Gun Club Dance Hall?

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Name this tune and the singer/songwriter:

"Country DJ's knows that I'm an outlaw. And they'll never come to see me in this dive. Where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughin' at the hippies; who are prayin' they'll get out of here alive..."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:

I like the Bee Gees. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Name this tune and the singer/songwriter:

"Country DJ's knows that I'm an outlaw. And they'll never come to see me in this dive. Where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughin' at the hippies; who are prayin' they'll get out of here alive..."

Longhaired Redneck David Allen Coe

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote