Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people join InterNet forums?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
I know why I did, because at the time, I had no one in my immediate social or work circle that hunted or knew a damn thing about guns or hunting or to a large part fishing.

From what I have seen over the past 5 years or so that I have been envolved on "Forums", there seems to be some various "Classes" of folks that join these sites.

1. Folks that are interested in hunting and fishing and interested in an exchange of ideas and knowledge.

2. Folks that are interested in the things listed above, but are more content to set back and read and soak up knowledge, yet never really get involved.

3. Folks that are only really interested in Off Topic areas, politics and religion and never get involved in any of the topic actually associated with hunting or fishing, except very peripherally.

4. Trolls, folks that just run all over the InterNet looking for some place to land on for a short period of time, cause trouble, then after they get their jollies, move on to another site.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. Folks that are only really interested in Off Topic areas, politics and religion and never get involved in any of the topic actually associated with hunting or fishing, except very peripherally.

That would be me. I thoroughly enjoy the interaction and the speed with which I get it, especially over at the PF. You'll see me in several other Forums, but the PF by far provides the best and most information and entertainment...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You can definitely stick me in your first category. I spend most of my time in the various hunting forums on this site, but since Obummer has been elected, spend a lot more time in the PF..........

What puzzles me are the lefties that hang out here who are obviously anti-gun or show absolutely no interest in hunting or the shooting sports yet have post counts in the five figures.........

Homebrewer is a welcome force in the crater, where the left comes to spew their vitriol.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homebrewer is a welcome force in the crater, where the left comes to spew their vitriol.

Thank you, Whit. I feed on their vitriol. I sometimes laugh so hard I can barely type...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus 1 on that thought. beer

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masochism. Pure masochism. killpc horse hammering diggin Wink

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer: I sometimes laugh so hard I can barely type...

Speeking of the far left...... jumping

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy all the forums. Due to health problems my wandering days are over and I'm just happy that I can still make the 100 yard walk from the house to my deer blind, but I've also been fortunate to find AR where I can go on some wonderful hunts, second hand, thanks to our many members who relate their experiences here.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I found this site looking for reloading information and shooting in general. Then one day I made the mistake of joining in at the crater. It's been hard to not join in since because there are so many libs for entertainment.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same reason as anyone else.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Crazy Horse you need one more catagory-

5. Assholes that have run out of assholes locally so they realize the internet is full of people they can be assholes to.

I fit in #1 to answer your question.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for reloading recipes, since the wife said I could find anything on the net. Thats when we first got this computer. I found AR, which is the best I think. She tried to get me to get a My Space, I told her Do you think I belong there besides Tom would be my only friend

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things I have learned, this site puts up with a lot more stuff than most.

Cliques and cronieism does not take place as it does on other sites.

I have been banned from 2 forums here in Texas, one that is owned and ran by a fellow AR member.

The reason I was banned from that one, is because I was foolish enough to believe that I could dictate the terms of a hunt I was donating to his site for its annual get together.

Silly me.

I was banned from another because a moderator had a problem with my being willing to state my opinion on various subjects.

I am the first to admit that I am an ass hole in many ways, but it takes 2 people to make an arguement.

AR is the best site I have participated on, simply because under normal circumstances, arguements/discussions are allowed to run their course and die a natural death.

Many sites are just too heavy handed with the way they are run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me about 24 cf and when i was looking for it i found this one.It is by far the best I have seen.You can learn about things you wondered about that someone else has done.It saves time and it's fun.There are some GOOD FOLKS here and some who need to go some where else.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I fit in category #1.
I have to remind myself that I come here to talk hunting and shooting,and not politics.Well,maybe sometimes in the winter,or rainy days.It's easy to get caught up in discusions when some idiot makes assinine statements that need rebuttal,however most idiots that roam here arent looking for debate,just someone to pay attention to them.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is also another category.

It is of someone who has absolutely no life in reality, and can pretend to be a man of great experience.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
In my case, I have low blood pressure. When it gets too low, I read the AR Political Forum, no need for medication. Eeker

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Folks" indeed . . . Jeez!

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I found AR while I was searching the net when I got into reloading again a couple of years ago. I fit into catagory #1 and try to stay away from the political and morale debates as they tend to go nowhere and I don't have time to chase my tale with trolls and libs.

I hunt the way I do, because of the state I live in and places I hunt. Don't need people from other parts of the world telling me the way I hunt is wrong or imorale.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stromberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
I hunt the way I do, because of the state I live in and places I hunt. Don't need people from other parts of the world telling me the way I hunt is wrong or imorale.

Hence I fit perfectly into category #3. Wink

Something like a -badly- written schüsseltreiben (post hunt get together).

Regards,
Stromberg

,____,
//'___________________________________________________
Thinking without Banisters

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stromberg:
quote:

Hence I fit perfectly into category #3. Wink

Something like a -badly- written schüsseltreiben (post hunt get together).

Regards,
Stromberg

Figures, thats why you don't post in public profile where your from?

Why would you visit a forum named Accuratre reloading and post mainley in the political foruma and Walters section?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Harold, there are a bunch of rather liberal guys that post nowhere but on the political forum, aptly referred to as the "crater." They all have posts in the five-figures, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why they come to a hunting/shooting site if they are so opposed to firearms. They just like to stir

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Stromberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would you visit a forum named Accuratre reloading and post mainley in the political foruma and Walters section?

I'm NOT fascinated by the literal ability to talk to oneself.

Nevertheless,

Silent Hunting - one who keeps silent. That's what you'll recognize me by.

,____,
//'___________________________________________________
Thinking without Banisters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Folks that are interested in the things listed above, but are more content to set back and read and soak up knowledge, yet never really get involved.

In looking back at the list, I guess this one includes lurkers/Looky Loo's.

For me that is the hardest bunch to understand, why "Join" something and not get involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I joined for the reloading data- gunsmithing-hunting aspects. I then found the political forum- It like a bad car/train wreck you want to look away but you can't stop looking

One of Us
posted Hide Post
two choices:

1. they are eager to learn more about a subject.
2. they don't have a life of their own, and can go from a nobody at home to somebody here.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Harold, there are a bunch of rather liberal guys that post nowhere but on the political forum, aptly referred to as the "crater." They all have posts in the five-figures, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why they come to a hunting/shooting site if they are so opposed to firearms. They just like to stir

Imagine if we did not have the crater. Those same posters would be posting on other forums, with totally irrelevant threads.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Plus 1 on that thought. beer

Agreed.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

Imagine if we did not have the crater. Those same posters would be posting on other forums, with totally irrelevant threads.

I post on a variety of forums, but ran my count up in the cratr during the elections. I mainly just cruise it now.

I originally got here because of the African hunting and travel forums. Spent a lot of time in Africa, some of it getting hunted, and it's nice to talk with people who have had similar experiences. Out here in central Florida, nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about most of the time. Plus, I have learned a hell of a lot about a wide variety of subjects on AR. It's one of the best, if not the best, forums on the Net.

posted Hide Post
Information on hunting, gunsmithing, trips/adventures, adding something to a discussion and with people of similar interests that I don't run across in person.
All good stuff, you just need to sort through some noise sometimes to get to the point!
Smiler

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC,

Lets see,
why do people join internet forums.
I'd probably fit under category #2 at first, then #1 now.

I've been into small calibers since the early ninety's. Started out with 22 cal, then to 17 cal then up to 20 cal.
Found out about a publication called Small Caliber news.

I have every copy published of SCN, from the first issue through the 11th year.

A certain fellow named Saeed was listed in the first issue under the caption
"Technical Team"

About the same time I started hearing about those funny video clips of small dark skinned guys shooting rifles that were literally knocking the crap out of them. Of course being both a rifle looney and unreconstructed redneck southern cracker I had to see those for myself. Hence I drifted to AR. I actually joined under a different "nom de plum" in 99 or 2000. Can't remember what ocurred but had to rejoin in 2001.
I've only around 1,000 posts as I typically stay out of the crater. My world view is pretty much formed and I'd rather invest my time in something enjoyable rather than in rants with folks that live in an "alternate universe". I also don't do to much posting in the way of "what load or bullet should I use for elk in GMU65 in Colorado".

Somewhat like you, my relationship with AR has evolved over the last 10 years. I find that as I get older my circle of friends gets smaller. A forum like this allows one to be involved, express ones opinions, learn and enjoy. I have made new friends, hunted with several guys I met on AR, bought and sold firearms here.
AR has become an integral part of my life. Very seldom does a day go by that I do not take advantage of the AR forums.
Thanks, Saeed.
And thanks to all you guys that post.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the statement one person made about AR being the best forum on the net, don't know what that persons reasons are.

I have a few reasons why I like it, and at least one that I am torn on.

1. The moderation on this place is a whole lot fairer and I think more just than on many or most other sites.

2. There is not the pettyness/jealousy on AR that is so visble on many other sites.

By this I am talking about the ability to mention other sites and for members to post links to their businesses.

On some sites I have looked at, only sponsors can do those things.

3. Unless I am blind to it, there is not the cliques/cronism on the AR that is rampant on so many other sites.

4. Except for the PF Crater, the majority of the folks on the AR appear to be adults and behave for the most part in that manner.

They do not seem to use an opinion made by a person as a judgement of that persons character.

It is like an opinion is just that, an opinion on a certain subject at that particular time, not a defining measure of that persons true self/character.

5. There does not seem to be the "Gulf War", between the "Kids" and the "Grey Beards".

On many forums, especially the more regional ones, at least from what I have seen, there are 3 distinct and seperate groups.

The Grey Beards/Old Farts/Geezers = 50 years old and up, The New Generation = 40 years old and younger, and The Land of the Lost = 40 to 50 year olds.

The folks in the LotL group are caught in the middle, the folks in the other two groups, from my experience are way out of touch with each other.

The Geezer group remembers things the way they used to be, and have lived thru the changes that have taken place in the hunting world.

The New Generation have only experienced what they have grown up with and can not visualize how things were 35 years ago or further back.

It is with everything, attitudes toward hunting, hunting methods, equipment, ethics, and the list goes on.

Like here in Texas, the Geezers hunted when the deer population was a lot less and there were no game cams and no emphasis on B&C and P&Y bucks, any buck killed was a trophy.

The New Generation grew up with Game Cams, Quality Deer Management, 4 Wheelers, GPS co-ordinates and high fences.

The LotL group came along at the end of the Geezer era and the beginning of the New Generation so they for the most part have an idea of how things were, but were able to adjust and embrace the new technology that was being brought forth.

The only part I have a problem with on AR is that it is not regionalized, but in many ways that is probaly a good thing, and this is just my opinion, but a Texas topic area on here would probably end up giving the Crater a run for its money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm the one who said this is the best forum I've encountered on the Net.

I have several reasons.

I have a considerable amount of African experience working there and doing a bit of hunting, also, and I can sometimes relate to the problems that are often mentioned by other posters.

I love dangerous game hunting, having done very little but going back for more next week, and I have learned quite a bit about it from a wide variety of experts, both hunters and industry professionals.

I like the crater to pick on liberals, although I don't do much of it anymore.

I like the African travel forum because I can keep up on what's going on in that area and I have traveled extensively in Africa.

I like the reloading forum, because I reload, the personal defense forum, because I carry all the time, the aviation forum, because I flew all over the world for 39 years and flew a lot in Africa, the big bore forum, because I shoot a couple, the medium bore forum becasue I shoot some of those, also, the lefties forum, because I shoot shoulder weapons left handed, the cats forum because I like cats, the same for the dogs forum, the gun cleaning forum because that's a good place to pick up tips on getting crap out of your guns, and so on and so forth.

The amount of information presented here is remarkable. Saeed is truly doing us a great service.

And last but not least, I've met some really nice people here who share my interests and who have taught me things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it while looking for reload data. I am sure some folks just want to check out Dee!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Throw me down for a #1 and add the friendship and fellowship that developes on AR.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
I started as a 1, then found the crater. Now my rockchucker is rusting in the reloading room. shocker I do get out an blast some bunnies at night, I love the acrobatic head shots with my bushmaster. hilbily

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I joined this website to get immediate feedback from people who fool around with guns a lot. Then I found the Political Forum and that was that. Now I get my immediate feedback in that cesspool far more often than in any other forum...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a small town, and the library doesn't have much of a collection.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This and a few other sites has become an integral part of my day now. I got cought in the downturn being owed a consideral sum ( for me anyway) Am semi retired now and hunt every few weeks, fortunately have deer within 10 miles,although it is public land and hunted reasonably heavily along with a poacher or two. Goat and rabbit are within an hour and these offer good hunting with many animals ending up in my freezer. This and other forums keep me current with developements and shared views. I have "met" guys from all over the world that I otherwise would never have been able to do.
Am most gratefull to Saeed and men of his 'caliber' who generously host sites like this.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a small town, and the library doesn't have much of a collection.

What state and which is the biggest town close to you? No need to get too specific...