New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody read Stephen Hunters latest, Dead Zero
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Stopped in at B&N today to check out the new fiction and new mystery. Stephen Hunter has a new Bob Lee Swagger novel, The reviews I read on Amazon were positive. Your thoughts. As I have read all of S. Hunters novels, I'll probably dowonload it from Audible as I have four credits left.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know there was a new one. I am tempted to go to Amazon and see if it's on Kindle, but I will go to the bookstore tomorrow, Hunter is strictly hard copy for me. Thanks!

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MMM,
I'm in my truck a lot, sometimes as much as 50k miles per year. I drive to my deer lease on average of 20 times a year at 650 miles round trip. Makes for good listening of audio discs.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
geedubya

325 one way to the lease? Where on earth is it?

Man when you get away -you get away

beer

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pearland to 20 miles north of uvalde, then six miles left off SH 83 is one, or 5 miles north of Garner can be done also and just for shits and giggles, 9 miles north of Lost Maples off 187 for another (a friends place). Love going cause there is no cell phone reception and any of the places and my favorite has no power or water. Ah, peace and quiet (Unless some wanker runs a generator).
Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a good book.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've downloaded it off audible, but am in the middle of David Baldacci's Hell's Corner. Will do SH next.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Pearland to 20 miles north of uvalde, then six miles left off SH 83 is one, or 5 miles north of Garner can be done also and just for shits and giggles, 9 miles north of Lost Maples off 187 for another (a friends place). Love going cause there is no cell phone reception and any of the places and my favorite has no power or water. Ah, peace and quiet (Unless some wanker runs a generator).
Best
GWB

Just a day trip for us in Texas! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had some really good Axis deer hunts just due east of Rocksprings on the Nueces river.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
I hunted the Southern Cross ranch in 1999 and 2000. We had been paying $800 annual fee. Went up to $1,100 in 2000. Next year he found a group that would pay him $2000 a gun. Needless to say after 10 years of work, improving cabin, feeding deer, holding triggers we were gone.
This ranch was 13 miles south of Rocksprings on Sh-55. Terrell Verner's place. It was rough. Couldn't get anywhere on the lease unless you were in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Even then you were taking you life in your own hands going up and down those goat paths that they called a road. Course in 2000 no-one had an atv.
Good hunting though, you could hear elk whistling in the canyons. Sika, axis, sheep, goats, panther. Hogs galore and Audad sheep out the wazoo. Hated to leave.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to the Circle E nranch on 335 about 12 miles east of Rock Springs. Unfortunetly they sold out about 10 yrs ago. They were low fence and had a lot of white tail, Axis deer, Aoudad, and Black Buck antelope. They had an old lodge and about 6-8 cabins. We paid $200 a person for a weekend. That included 1 axis doe, cabin, and 3 nice meals a day. Way too cheap, but I loved it.Opening weekend and the second weekend was saved for Haliburton's folks. I believe they unknowningly paid some of ours.I found a place close that has a bunkhouse for $50 a night and I believe $250 for an Axis doe or $1500 for a trophy buck. You have to cook your own food. He has blinds and feeders going year around. He also has a walkin freezer and a guy to do your gutting, skinning, and quartering. He also has other exotics.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Geedub, I got the book this weekend, I am about halfway through, I am enjoying it. I hope Hunter has more in the pipeline, Bob Lee is getting up there and he has no sons(that we are told of), maybe one of his daughters will carry on! I have really enjoyed all the Swagger novels, some are better than others, but they are all worth reading/listening to.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Library had it. Hope he stays true to former values (instead of pursuing another female.) I'm about a third-way through.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope he stays true to former values (instead of pursuing another female.) I'm about a third-way through.

Bob Lee messing around???? Not ever!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed all his work and the new one is no exception. Nice to have an east coaster media related guy on our side.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote