New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing scope crosshairs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished replacing fine crosshairs in a 10X Fecker scope (very similar to a Unertl). It was a pain working with wire that thin and fragile but I got’er done. Rather than send the scope off & wait several weeks to a few months, I figured I’d replace the crosshairs myself & also save the expense. So I bought 0.0005” diameter tungsten crosshair wire from a guy on eBay.

BTW, don’t get any ideas that I’m willing to work on replacing crosshairs for others. But if you’d like to try it yourself, here’s the link to the eBay wire supplier. You get 3ft for $10.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSS...oWK0V_rcaPxQultIOyJQ

For more details on scope repairs and replacing crosshairs, see my article at
http://www.texas-mac.com/Wm_Ma...nts_and_Repairs.html

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious how you purged the scope with inert gas and then sealed it to keep it from fogging.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I am curious how you purged the scope with inert gas and then sealed it to keep it from fogging.

Bob,

With the exception of the modern Leatherwood/Hi-Lux model, none of the original or modern copies of externally adjustable “tube type” period-style scopes patterned from the classical Wm Malcolm design are hermetically sealed and pressurized with nitrogen. That includes but is not limited to the following brands: R.S.O., Parsons, Unertl, J.W. Fecker, MVA, DZ Arms, etc. The Leatherwood is reportedly sealed and pressurized with nitrogen, hence it’s the only one I recommend for hunting.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) Member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Posts: 99 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Working with a wire of that size??

I think you are the sort of person we call a glutton for punishment!

Well done, I am sure you are very proud of your job. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 feet of 0.0005" wire? I hope he taped it to a piece of paper or put it into a plastic envelope as you could lose that under the postage stamp.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

It came in a standard 4.5"x5.5" letter or card envelope. The wire is wrapped around a 4" dia. round section of common cardboard. The ends were taped & marked.

The seller has obviously shipped a bunch of the wire & knew how to ship it & how to identify the ends of the wire for the buyer.

Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
These 60 year old eyes would never be able to see 0.0005" wire! I would have the tape in both hands and nothing in the middle. Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago when I replaced some crosshairs in an old Realist scope. I first tried human hair and the darned things covered over 2 minutes in width! Finally got down to unraveling a polyester thread down to a single strand and that worked along with a miniscule drop of some sealant or epoxy of some sort on the intersection. It made kind of a little diamond in the center. It worked but I remember it being pretty tedious. As it turned out the scope didn't end up holding zero terribly well and needs a complete disassembly I would imagine to beef up some springs somewhere...maybe someday Smiler

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years back I damaged the crosshair in a weaver K2.5 scope. I was made before nitrogen filling, so I operated on it on a cold winter day that had very low humidity. for the cross hair I used a very fine blonde hair that I had clipped from our infant son. I glued the hair to the same locations that the wire had been attached, so it actually appears to be vertical and horizontal and cross at right angles. But I don't shoot it very much because I don't want to break it, I suppose I could remove one end and purge the air with nitrogen, but some other day.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post