New
Find
Notify
Tools

George Gibbs Farquharson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Steve Bertram started a thread on this over in the Custom Rifles section but I thought it would be well received here as well.

I am super pleased with how this project turned out!
Had to take her out in the sunlight for a bit of a photo shoot.

For those interested, I'll give a little background on how this all came together.

I bought the rifle as shown in Steve's first three photos.
The rifle had been rebarreled to 7X57R iirc, and the forend had been replaced at that time.
The action was blacked but the stock and steel plates looked generally unmessed with.
Oddly and fortunately, the smith set the original rear sight leaves on the new barrel island.
Often Gibbs Sporters have the powder charge and bullet weight engraved on the sight as this one had. Some even had the charge and bullet weight for TWO different loadings - an express load and a load with a heavier bullet each shooting to the same point of aim!

The barrel we used is a Ron Snover Metford rifled barrel that I got off of a big Webley which had been barreled in the '80s or '90s as a long range match rifle chambered in 45-90.
That rifle was rebarreled by Steve as well in .500NE. See here: https://forums.accuratereloadi...741057522#9741057522

In the match configuration, the barrel had enough length to cut and chamber and enough weight to replicate the profile of an original 461 Gibbs sporter, which I happen to have.

So, I had a Selous plated Gibbs action and stock, as well as a spare correctly rifled Metford barrel. The decision was obvious!

The only question for me was, which 450 to chamber this rifle in?

The barrel is a .458 so slightly smaller than the correct .461 Gibbs Metford barrels but, interestingly, some 461 Gibbs sporters - even one Selous himself owned - were stamped "450EX" so mine would be too.

I chose the 500/450 No.1 Express because it is very cool, of course, but also because I already had brass and dies as well as bullet swaging dies to make patched .458" bullets of any weight I desire. Being a former match rifle barrel, it has a fast twist so heavy bullets will stabilize nicely - Steve and I shot this with 480gr patched bullets during the build but I'd think that any from the 360gr on the sights to the full weight 570gr bullets will shoot satisfactorily.
We will have to see just how a 100/360 load shoots but honestly I hope that the 480s shoot closer to the sights being the exact bullet I use in my WR Match rifle and I was pleased to find the paper patches perfectly cut into ribbons just as they should be when we shot it.
The extra case capacity of the No.1 Express will allow me to really dial in a good load with plenty of oomph.

So, the stars aligned and this fantastic rifle was brought back to it's original state and purpose by a smith whom truly understands British rifles of the era (as well as the demands of his eccentric clients tu2)
What a wonderful rifle!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, what a wonderful project! Talk about a rifle that simply drips history. Is this the .500-450 No. 1 with the 2.75-inch case? Please file a range report when you get a chance! Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ben, what a wonderful project! Talk about a rifle that simply drips history. Is this the .500-450 No. 1 with the 2.75-inch case? Please file a range report when you get a chance! Cool

Yep. 2-3/4” case as developed by Westley Richards if I’m not mistaken.

I got the reamer from Pacific and since my barrel was a 450 bore got the one that allows a .458” bullet. My reasoning being that I can use the .458” patched bullets I swage with black powder and smokeless loads with paper patch, grease grooves or light jackets should work as well - that will all have to be seen of course.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, we will be needing a photo of you sitting in a camp chair, wearing a slouch hat and making sketches in your notebook, next to the end of a freight wagon with a great bustard hanging from it, and with that rifle leaned against it. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a treasure. Well done.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Well done!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few British sporters, several SxS shotguns, and a couple of Double rifles, my one desire has been to find a Farqy. They have to be the classiest rifle ever produced with gorgeous lines and are just flat-out sexy! I love yours, especially with the Selous plates, what a piece of History. I want a smaller bore, less than .375. At DSC this year, I got to visit with Glen Fewless and he had a .303 that he had restored, it was a beauty! Probably I should just sell a few safe queens and satisfy my itch! Thanks for the post and the pictures!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
... I want a smaller bore, less than .375. At DSC this year, I got to visit with Glen Fewless and he had a .303 that he had restored, it was a beauty! Probably I should just sell a few safe queens and satisfy my itch! Thanks for the post and the pictures!

I have a Manton Farquharson chambered in 400/360NE.
In my opinion, that is the perfect chambering for a sub 375 Farquharson. Plenty powerful for any NA or plains game and pleasant to shoot too.