THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Black Powder Cartridge Rifles    Creedmoor-style Ruger No.1 40-90 Sharps BN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creedmoor-style Ruger No.1 40-90 Sharps BN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking mighty capable for a lot of tasks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, Bill.
The Manson reamer to be used for this has a leade-only throat that was meant for use with paper-patched bullets.
I am going to have to learn how to roll my own ... one of these days ... if I live long enough.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 62-240 Sharps Straight 3.5" is not feasible with the parts I submitted.

So the 40-65 Winchester Pedersoli 1874 Sharps has been rechambered to 40-90 Sharps BN, with a paper-patch throat.
She is ready, waiting for me at the Gunsmith Shop and Spa for Wayward Rifles.
I will be paper-patching.

The Ruger No.1 Creedmoor will be barreled to something else, it it is next.
Creedmoor style!
Maybe 40-90 Sharps BN with a .408 Chey-Tac throat or CIP 450 NE 3-1/4" or SAAMI .458 Win. Mag to really screw with the concept,
mix metaphors, etc. nilly
The 62-240 Sharps/"20 Gauge Ex Purgatorio" is going back into purgatory for a while longer to work off my sins.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like my 40-90 Sharps BN paper-patch throat is just a 5-degree semi-angle "forcing cone," just like with a shotgun chamber.
That is from the Dave Manson reamer.
Therefore:
A 0.259"-length of paper-patched @ .400"-diameter can be loaded in front of the case mouth to touch the lands at bore diameter of .400".
About a quarter inch length of paper-patching sticking out of the case.

So I need some 0.392"-diameter soft lead slugs of about 400-grain weight, proper paper, and a patch template.
I already have the X-ACTO #1 Knife, a T-square, and a drawing board. tu2

Until I get up to speed on paper-patching,
that "forcing cone" throat will allow about 0.100"-length of a grease-groove bullet's
driving band to stick out of the case before bumping into the lands at 0.408" diameter.
At the start of the rifling in the throat, a step-down to .400" bore-riding bullet nose diameter is desirable.
So I can use up my grease-groove bullets as training wheels, work up some BP loads for 400 and 420-grainers,
then go to town with the paper-patch bullets. tu2

The switch from full-diameter .408/.409" grease-groove bullet to paper-patched .400" soft lead of similar weight, ought to be safe.
Which is more accurate?
Well, that will depend on paper patching perfection, among other things.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolling Block 2.5" 20 gauge rifle.
Creedmoor-style Ruger No.1 .458 Win. Mag.
Ha ha.

So my Ruger No.1 Creedmoor-style is going to be chambered for .458 Win. Mag.
A Pedersoli take-off barrel that is a fat, non-tapered/straight octagon, 30-inches long, will have its corners turned down enough to screw onto the Ruger No.1.
That will turn it into a fancy, 16-sided, hexadecagon barrel. Cool
Cut to 28".
Twist is 1:18".
Might load some 45-90 BP loads for that.
I have fancy walnut and various sights, ignore the tacticool stuff in photo below, of barrel and action:

And that pesky 20-gauge Verney-Carron rifled barrel will get screwed onto the antique Rolling Block No.1.
They actually existed once upon a time, firing the old BP 2-1/2" shells.
Folded shotgun case COL about 2-1/6"?
That ought to fit into the Rolling Block,
and it won't need a 3.5" chamber.

The 20 Gauge Ex Purgatorio muzzle brake will get screwed onto a NEF/H&R 20-gauge 3.5", for use with +900-grain lead slugs.
There now, all parts accounted for.
Parts is parts.
Back to paper-patching for the 40-90 Sharps BN, Pedersoli 1874 re-chamber.
This old dog is trying to learn a new trick,
paper-patching soft lead bullets.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip, Brent D. here is a virtual paper patch genius. Maybe he will weigh in.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks for the link. There is a wealth of info there!
I am still collecting paraphernalia.
Need to get with it.
tu2
Rip ...