New
Find
Notify
Tools

420HC Steel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a used Buck Nighthawk tactical knife . Buck's website indicates the blade is 420HC steel. I'm not familiar with this alloy and was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the pros/cons of this steel? Thanks.

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a guide on steel check out this link. http://www.agrussell.com/knife_information/steel_guide/index.html

From the AG Russel Steel Encyclopedia:

A stainless spring steel much used in inexpensive production knives from Taiwan. Very useful in tantos and other knives. Also should be outstanding for axe heads. If you use this steel you must have an analysis as it can range in Carbon content from 0.15 to 0.6% the balance is 1.0% Manganese and 12-14% Chromium.

420HC
An improved form of 420 that works well with high production tooling; much used by Buck, Gerber, etc. Carbon 0.5-0.7%, Manganese 0.35-0.9%, Chromium 13.5%.

My personal experiance has been that 420HC is a good if not great steel. Some of the more expensive steels will have advantages in some areas but most people who aren't steel nuts won't know much difference.
Best advice is if you like the knife use and enjoy it!.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DJ - I'm already enjoying it. Cost me $23 plus shipping and the blade was really dull. Yippee!! Got to spend some quality time putting a working edge on it. Does anyone elses heart beat a little faster when they pick up a dull knife in one hand and a 6in. stone in the other?? Nothing like sharpening a new, used knife for the first time!! Will carry this on overnite hikes with my aging buddies. We all carry large blades and/or handguns while hiking. I guess we never grew up!! Thankfully, we still have the freedoms to do this.

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote