Find
Notify
Tools

Sgian Dubhs & Dirks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted

Thought you guys might like to see a few of the Sgian Dubhs & Dirks that I made this year.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice...what did you use for blade material? The one with the wooden handle...does it have a wooden sheath?

the chef

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nice looking knives Doug!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I used D2 for the two little Sgian Dubhs & 440C for the Dirks. The dirk on the bottom is made in the late 18th century style & does have a wooden sheath.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
D

Nice file work on the knives. How about a picture of the Back of the blade to show us how it is done?
The stag handle rocks. How long is the blade on the biggi?

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Thanks Jeffery. Stag does make awesome handles IMHO. The blades on the dirks are 12". The Scottish dirk sometimes had a blade as long as 16". They were often made from broken sword blades. The blades were always long enough to punch completely through an Englishman! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
The blades were always long enough to punch completely through an Englishman!

Thanks for the great pictures of a "job well done" file work.
It makes me happy to hear that your knife is BIG LOL I like em big.
I think that it is cool that you made a short/small guard on the dirk. I know how much easier it is not to make one.
I am working on a sheath as we speaK, secret project that will be posted later this year.

I also think that stag is the way to go. It looks great and gives a good firm grip due to the texture. Many of my knives are with stag handle. Look

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Along that theme, have you ever done a kris, ie flaming blade?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very nice knives Jeffery. thumb
quote:
have you ever done a kris, ie flaming blade?

No I would not have the patience to accomplish that! ( pulling my hair out! ) LOL.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station