THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Re: Found a bighorn "shed" tricks to makeing scales?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Found a bighorn "shed" tricks to makeing scales?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think jeffeosso has you off to a good enough start there, I would throw in one suggestion: I know a lot of makers stabilize their handle materials. If you looked at some of the knife supply houses they would surely have something in stock that you could use. I believe that basically you are soaking the material in some type of a penetrating epoxy. A lot of the exotic woods are listed as 'stabilized' and I have read that they have basically been soaked and then allowed to cure.

Just found this--

Stabilizing may be more complex than I suggested. I found a thread while poking around knife supply places-- it may be of interest. Best Luck--D.

http://www.sagebrushcountry.com/pdfs/ckd.pdf#search='Knife%20handle%20stabilizing'

As far as cutting the horn material, I will say that in looking at the 2 knives I have that have horn handles, they were cut across the grain. i.e. the scales have several different 'rings' on them, they are 3 and 4.25 inches long respectively (the scales)

Good Luck, it sounds like that find could make some really memorable and cool knife handles.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just jumping off the deep end here...

first, I would boil the whole thing, in a 55 gallon drum, to get the FUNK off it... i don't mean stuff you can see or smell.. the stuff that would get into a cut and get nasty.

next, Start small... horn is modified hair, right?

section off a small bit, bit that, and press it flat in a vise... plywood taller jaws help ALOT...

just figure out how the material works... after it's flat, file, sand, polish to get a view as to how it looks.

best of luck.. and lucky find!!
jeffe

Posts: 38473 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Sharps Shooter
posted Hide Post
The best way to get flat scales is to make a pressing fixture. ie. two peices of flat bar with bolts and nuts on each end.(make sure your wife is out shopping or something). Then use your oven to heat the horn in the jig. Let cool off and then take out, works every time. By the way do not get too hot.

Know many, trust few, and paddle your own canoe.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote