Find
Notify
Tools

Ruanas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
Was reading an old post about Ruanas and though I'd bring it up again.

I guess you can tell, I like them. The top knife was in my Dads tackle box for years. When he died, Mom gave it to me.
The middle knife I bought at a gun show.
The last one I bought from Rudys son in law in Bonner.
I think, the top knife has had the tip broken off and reshaped. I'm pretty sure it is an original Rudy Ruana.
I also think the second knife is a later original Rudy Ruana knife.
As you can tell by the stains on the blades, I use these knives. The bottom one will skin a bear or butcher a moose without resharpening, if you don't hit a bone.
There is an interesting book about Rudy Ruana. The title is something like, "The ring of the hammer." I forget the exact title. I have a copy around somewhere.
Anyone else have any Ruanas?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Very nice knives and worth quite a bit Wink
Keep using them and hang on to them.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andre.
I'm going to get some polish and work on the blades. Moose/Bear blood stains them pretty quickly.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Ruana skinner knife back in the middle 70's. I have used it a few times and it holds a decent edge. Nice collection you have there TJ!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Someone who used to hunt in the area where I hunted had one of the originals.

he loaned it to me one day to cut thru a pelvic bone of a mature dear. Cut like it was cutting thru meat.

jack laughed and said that he bought it from the maker on a trip west and the maker only used the spring from some particular year of studebaker as I remember it. Not likely many of them areound even in a junkyard.

The knif makers I have talked to say it is likely 1095 steel, but whatever it is it is one fine pioece of metal.

Jack also allowed it to be used to gut deer at check station for some study way back when. The number of deer it was used on far exceeded anything one would likey belive and I have long since forgotten the real number.

The man CERTAINLY knew how to heat treat a peice of steel.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I found tne book. "Hear The Hammer". The Authors are Smith, Towsley and Mandell. Published 1995.
If your interested in Ruanas, you need to get the book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very under rated knives known only by the real hunters and knife collectors. Will take real hard use and shine!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice working knives. They will put them back to new condition for you in Bonner. I stop and see Them once or twice a year. Own 8 of their knives and a hatchet. finest steel for hard usage I've ever used. Cool looking also. You have a treasure.

Posts: 305 | Location: on the praire and liken it | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have an old Ruana and it is a favorite. Used it just last month to field dress a Pronghorn. It "lives" in my small hunting backpack along with an old Puma that also has a bone saw blade.... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
i have an olod ruana and the condition of the blade is similar to those posted at the top of this thread. what is it about these that makes the steel pit like that? my knife was never used, just stored in the sheath... is that it?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Nice knives and i like their design congratulations.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote