New
Find
Notify
Tools

I screwed up
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have carried a Moore Maker Trapper for several years and just loved that knife. I use it for everything. I've dressed Elk, Antelope and Deer with it and it was just about perfect. I lost it about 2 weeks ago and have been looking for somthing to replace it. I went online and found this Camillus Yello-Jacket trapper that looked really nice so I ordered one. I just got the knife yesterday. There was no description of the size of the knife online but lots of hype as to how great the quality was. The knife is a high quality pocket knife. The 2 blades are as pictured and it has a nice handle and pretty engraving. The problm is that this knife is about 2 1/2 in. long closed. The blade length is less than 2in.long. I thought I was getting a Trapper! This one may work for skinning mice but I usually hunt bigger critters. Lesson learned, I'm still looking for another Trapper.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camillus knives are made in China now.A lot of knives out there , get a good one ! Have you ever looked at www.agrussell.com ? A very good dealer with lots of choices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moore maker trappers are still available.

I dunno if you'll see this in time, but here is a "second" on ebay that is a good deal in a trapper going off in about 14 hours. trapper second I've bought some of these before and they are good to go.

If you like large bladed folders, the Moore Maker "mountain man" is larger than the "trapper" model, 4 1/2 closed vs. 4 1/8, with the same blade shape.

The A G Russell knives made in China are great values as well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've checked out the AG Russell web site and also the Moore Maker site. I'm just a little spooked about buying anything like a pocket knife over the internet. I think I want to hold my next knife in my hands before I buy it.

I'll get down to Texas sometime soon and pick out just the knife I want. Till then I'll go with somthing more commercial I can pick up at a hardware or sporting goods store.

I gave that Camillus to my wife for her sewing kit. It might work for that. What an expensive POS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything you buy from agrussell can be exchanged without question if you're not happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While they are pricey, the Diamond Blades that are friction forged are some of the best steel I have run into EVER. I have used mine to skin/gut 3 American Buffalo, a bear and a deer and haven't had to touch the blade yet. They make a folder and I believe they are a quality knife.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, if you can't find it in yourself to spend $40, give or take, for that knife, I'll buy it. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Ok, if you can't find it in yourself to spend $40, give or take, for that knife, I'll buy it. Wink

Go for it my friend. I'm sure its just fine, I'm just a little gun shy right now. I'll get down to Matador soon enough.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Don't know where or which website it was but have you considered a Queen Cutlery trapper or muskrat? They are available in D2 and 3.5 to 4 inches closed. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikem0553:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Go for it my friend. I'm sure its just fine, I'm just a little gun shy right now. I'll get down to Matador soon enough.

Sold for more than my max of $35 plus shipping. FWIW I think the final cost is too hi for a second but there are lots more on ebay. Always another deal. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to town yesterday and picked up an Old Timer Boy Scout Trapper. I was feeling naked, not having a knife in my pocket. The quality was better than I expected for the price I paid. It's still a little lighter than what I'm used to but should work ok.

Thanks for all the input, I'll spend some time looking at the knives you all have mentioned and we'll see what I come up with. You can bet the farm, I'll never buy another Camillus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the rough rider jumbo trapper, very cheap holds a pretty good edge and you don't mind to abuse it.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

posted Hide Post
While not 2 blade trapper cases packpocket knives are a good knife.

Posts: 12 | Location: maceo kentucky | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Backpocket knife.

Posts: 12 | Location: maceo kentucky | Registered: 01 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.knivesplus.com/eye-...d-trapper-knife.html

Eye carry an Eye Brand Trapper, have been since I can remember, I think my granddad gave my first one to me. They are made, still, in Germany with carbon steel. They are a little difficult to sharpen, but when you do get it there, it is shaving sharp.
I have used mine for cleaning deer, antelope and occasional pig, when I forget my other knife.
They are a little pricey but I think are worth the money. I sharpen mine on a grinder with cloth wheels and rouge. Keeps them nice and shiny. When my wife and I go out to have a steak, out comes the knife. She hates that.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I prefer Bear and Sons, US made knives. Made in Jacksonville, Ala. They make several sizes of Trappers, including a couple large and very large ones.

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Texas and I did find a nice Moore Maker knife. It's a canoe shape with the same type blades as a trapper. Both blades lock. It's a bit bigger than my trapper was and I think it will make an excellent hunting knife. I really need to learn how to post pictures so you all can see how she looks. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Mike

one of the Yellow is Moore the other is Schrade.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikem0553:
I just got back from Texas and I did find a nice Moore Maker knife. It's a canoe shape with the same type blades as a trapper. Both blades lock. It's a bit bigger than my trapper was and I think it will make an excellent hunting knife. I really need to learn how to post pictures so you all can see how she looks. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Is it one of these? If so, just point out which model:

http://catalog.mooremaker.com/...?item_group_id=29383

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the Trail Boss with a red bone handle. I've never spent this much for a knife but think it will make a great folding hunter and be easy to carry when I'm horseback. It came with a sheath but I will probably just keep it in my pocket.