New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bark River Knife & Tool
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with any of the knives produces by Bark River Knife & Tool?
I am specifically interested in their Mini Canadian & Mikro Canadian models.

I have heard good reports from some of the knife forums but, I am not really up on all the
various steels used (A-2 in this case) nor do I have and understanding of the different knife
designs....etc.

Bark River Knife & Tool

Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would ask about the two BRK&T knives that I don�t have.

Have owned 4 and still own two � the big Forager, the smaller Fieldsman, the identical sized Huntsman and a �custom� Mountaineer III. Sold the Huntsman because it was identical to the Fieldsman except with a full tang, and sold the Mountaineer III as the blade was identical to a Marbles sport 99 I own.

That little Fieldsman is tied neck and neck with a Buck Duke as my most used every day knife.

BRK&T is owned by the same guy that put Marbles back on the map. I don�t know much about steels either, just that my knives stay sharp through some tough use. The fine, fine razor edge will go fairly quickly but they keep their strong cutting power. By that I mean � when sharp I can push the edge through a piece of notebook paper and get a clean cut � no sawing, just push straight through with the blade at a 90 degree angle to the edge of the paper. After cutting up, say, three large cardboard furniture boxes , I have to hold the edge at a slight angle to the paper and slide it through.

But then I can go back and cut up the fourth and fifth cardboard box and the knife still stays sharp.

The secret is the Moran or convex edge. Apparently this is pretty strong, and is a breeze to touch up. You can hone it on your jeans or a piece of cardboard. If it gets really dull then here is a link showing how to sharpen it with a piece of fine sandpaper and a mouse pad. http://home.nycap.rr.com/sosak/convex.htm

Of course, all this doesn�t say much about those Canadians, but go to www.knifeforums.com, there is a forum devoted strictly to BRK&T, and those guys will bend your ear all day long bragging on the BRK&T knives.

I really, really like mine.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A-2 is a tool steel that makes a good rugged knife and will hold an edge very well, it isn't stainless of course. If you're not too familiar with the various shapes tell us what you're going to use it for so we can give you better suggestions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, from a layman's point of view regarding stainless vs. tool steel -

My Marbles is 52-100 tool steel and the Bark Rivers are A2. The Marbles has cut up a couple of deer, one elk and dug a bullet froma wildebest and the steel is just as bright as it was the day I bought it. BTW, it is just as sharp - it will still push right through notebook paper. I have stropped it on cardboard, but that's all.

The Fieldsman has only cut up a few chicken breasts in the kitchen (hey, I had to try it on some kind of flesh ) and it took a very slight bluish tinge which is now starting to disappear.

You're not supposed to keep these knives in their leather sheaths but the Fieldsman stays in it's sheath almost all the time and there is no hint of rust or discoloration from that at all. I don't oil it or anything, just wash it with Dawn dish soap on the kitchen sponge and dry it off when it gets dirty. Have run it through the dishwasher a time or two as well. The knife is less than a year old and the micarta handle is getting a nice "used" appearance, but regarding the blade so far so good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mete & Jim,

I really like the idea of these small knives! I have been looking on and off for a knife(s) that can wear alot of hats and yet not be overpowering. I find that when I need I knife I often don't have a large cutting job to do but, at the same time need to have easy access and a versatile type blade. By versatile I mean tough enough to cut a variety of materials with out complaining and still remain sharp and usable. I don't understand the in and outs of all the blade shapes and designs but, the Mikro and Mini look like they would take care of alot of my needs...

mete,
As far as specific use goes I want a small portable knife that I can...attatch to my fly fishing vest, put in a pocket and take out on the ice for a day of ice fishing, use for backpacking, camping, canoeing, day hiking or throw on my belt and track or still hunt whitetails in New Hampshire and Maine.

I don't think such a small knife with a less than(Mikro) or just over(Mini) 2" inch blade is ideal for cleaning and caping game but, I bet I will use one to do that job eventually.

Any info. you can provide regarding blade steels and specifically A-2 would be appreciated.

Jim,
what do you mean a "worn" look on the micarta handle? Are these handle not up to par?

Quote:

The secret is the Moran or convex edge. Apparently this is pretty strong, and is a breeze to touch up.

Can you describe the Moran edge to me?

Are there any other knives you think I should consider?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, the Bark River knives are of a good design and are of very good quality. The A-2 steel is good in edge holding ability and easy to resharpen. The true stain resistance can vary but the few knives I have with A-2 have proved very resistant to staining/rust and mine have been through some pretty tough field use, heavily immersed in blood, saltwater and sand/dirt. Clean up was easy, with just water and a little scrubbing, maybe a little dishwashing soap. I always put them up after time in the field with a little wipe of Break free or 3 in one oil, and that seems to do enough. I think you'd be happy with one of the BRKT knives.

Regards, Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those mini and mikro Canadians would be just great for all the stuff you described. I found the Fieldsman to be just right for the exact same uses you describe, not too big to be obtrusive but plenty big enough for most any occasional job.

The Moran edge is a blade that is continuously curved in cross section. It is explained very well in the link I first posted:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sosak/convex.htm

Or you can call Bark River and ask to speak to the owner Mike Stewart, the phone number is on their web page - he will bend your ear about A2 steel, the Moran (i.e. convex) edge and anything else you care to talk about. Real nice guy - busy so you can't always catch him but when you do, be prepared to listen and learn.

By "worn" on the micarta - NO! - it is not substandard in any way. What I mean is that it came from the box all black and shiny and now the part that is inside the sheath is still shiny but the part that is exposed has become a little lighter in color. Certainly not worn or rough - hard to describe - it has just lost that shiny appearance. Gives it character in my mind.

Lots of people have their favorite brands and to be honest most of them would serve you quite well, but those Bark Rivers are certainly as good as any in their price range and my purely subjective opinion is that they are better than most.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 'Canadian' models don't have much of a point but as such they would work well for caping as they were designed .For all purpose use I would prefer the 'Woodland' model.3" blade is a very convenient size .I dressed out and skinned ,and did most of the butchering of my deer with a 3" knife last year.And it's small enough to do the small jobs equally well.A2 is one of the better non-stainless steels for knives you can find. Micarta is a commonly used handle material ,very practical and durable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered both the Mini and the Mikro Canadian knives this afternoon and should have them Monday.

I think they will be just the ticket for the uses I have in mind. If the quality and utility are as high
as they appear to be I have a funny feeling I will be ordering another pair! There other models don't look
half bad either....

Regards,
Dave