THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Acquired and old Razor Strop Want to Put it to Use

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acquired and old Razor Strop Want to Put it to Use
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I was lucky to pick up a Razor Strop in good condition from an estate sale.

I want to put it to use in putting the finishing touches on my hunting knives.

What advice and/or instruction could you share with me?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i never had one....

I believe that from time to time you have to charge it with polishing compound.

Remember they are not for sharpening the blade,,,all they are ment to do is push the edge back to the correct place...and perhaps a little light buffing. try looking here..

http://www.classicshaving.com/articles/article/590351/4057.htm

Thats all I know about them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakotah, Thats a neat article, thanks for finding it. Tried a new hatchet yet?.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shave with a straight razor so I use a strop everyday, two schools of thought exist on the use of strops.

1. The strop should be used to only polish the razor after it has achieved the final edge on the hone, the strop then alignes the edge for a good shave.

2. The strop may be loaded with a super fine polishing compound such as FLITZ which is about a 12-15,000 grit polish. The razor is then sharpened on the hone and then the final edge is then both polished, AND aligned on the "cutting" strop for the ulitimate in sharpness and hence shaving comfort.

I subscribe to theory #2 and I have a razor that shaves closer than any twin blade ever could, Some claim that the use of the loaded strop leaves an incredible but less robust edge that needs to be honed more often and dulls faster. I have found that not to be the case as I strop before each shave and my razors are over 10 and 4 years old respectivly.

My advice if you really intend to use this for knives (it will really put on that final hair popping edge) is to condition the leather with a bit of "extra virgin olive oil" wipe it off with a soft absorbant cloth, let it sit overnight, and then rub FLITZ metal polish into it with the pads of your fingers and then polish away!

Hold the knife at Approx the same angle as your final honing angle but draw the blade from spine to edge with one smooth motion keeping the leather as tight and straight as possible! 15-20 strokes later you will have a fantastic edge!

BTW: one Caveat; you Can get a knife to sharp for its intended purpose...it will dull rapidly, it's called "overhoning" it's common with newbies who try to shave with open razors!

Hansel

Posts: 78 | Location: Surprise, AZ, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote