Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new hunting knife
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I posted this in the Big game forum, but thought someohere might have some input:

Knife hunt

Comments? Suggestions?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I've used the folding version of the Kershaw Deer Hunter for quite a few years and am pretty happy with it, but I would recommend the fixed blade version as "stuff" tends to accumulate inside the folder. MSRP is higher than your target but it is available discounted.

4 in. AUS8A stainless steel blade. Phenolic and brass handle. 8.25 in. overall length. Has a weight of 8.2 ozs. MSRP $150.

One discounter (caveat emptor, they were just the first to show up in a search)

I will probably be using a hjigh-carbon non-stainless next, as it is a bit easier to resharpen. I have a custom on the way now whic I hope works out well.

Have you considered looking at the lower-end custom hunters offered by the makers at places like bladeforums.com?

This one has been for sale for a while with no takers -- now down to $115 shipped:

Overall Length........8 inches
Blade Length..........4 inches
Blade Material.........C1095
Blade HRC..............60
Handle Material.......Amboyna Burl

This one is $110 plus 8 shipping:

O-1 Acid Etched and differentially heat treated
Flat-Ground
Cocobolo Diamondwood scales
Stainless Pins
OAL 7 1/4"
Blade 3" Tip to Plunge Cut
Home-grown Sheath

There is also www.knifenetwork.com which has a for sale by maker forum and a classified section.

This one is $130.

Blade Length: 4 inches
Overall Length: 8 1/2 inches
Blade Steel: 1084 Clay Hardened and heat treated
Handle Material: Dyed and Stabilized Box Elder Burl

One more for $110:

Blade Length: 4.5 inches
Overall Length: 9.0 inches
Blade Steel: D2 Tool Steel / 61 - 62 RC. Hardness
Handle Material: Stag
Bolster/Guard: Brass
Sheath/Pouch: Sheath - leather

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 you listed I'd go with the Moran, Buck, and Benchmade in that order.

Don't get the Benchmade or anything else in 440C, the edgeholding isn't that great.

Go ahead and spend a lil more money, you'll appreciate it in the future Smiler

I would suggest the Fallkniven F1. It is a drop point fixed blade with VG-10 steel. I have one and it's been good to me.
IMHO I think $110 for the Buck is way over priced. You can find many knives under $100 that have better ergonomics and fit and finish (such as Fallknivens).

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by baboon:
For the last 5 years I have been buying hunting knives using them and then giving them to a friend as gifts.Barkriver huntsman is the first knives that I wont be giving away.

www.barkriverknifetool.com/products.html

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I was leaning to the Buck, as I have found it elsewhere for under $90...then I found out that Cabelas has special runs from major makers...including a Gerber Freeman in S30V for $90 and a Gerber Gator in ATS54. I really like the looks of the Freeman...

We may have a winner!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fumbler:
Of the 3 you listed I'd go with the Moran, Buck, and Benchmade in that order.

Don't get the Benchmade or anything else in 440C, the edgeholding isn't that great.

Go ahead and spend a lil more money, you'll appreciate it in the future Smiler

I would suggest the Fallkniven F1. It is a drop point fixed blade with VG-10 steel. I have one and it's been good to me.
IMHO I think $110 for the Buck is way over priced. You can find many knives under $100 that have better ergonomics and fit and finish (such as Fallknivens).

I have the H1 as well as the F1 and F1/3G jump and I like the H1 for skinning deer. It is a really excellent knife for skinning/butchering tasks. The F1/3G is the ultimate knife in my arsenal.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
Hmmm, I was leaning to the Buck, as I have found it elsewhere for under $90...then I found out that Cabelas has special runs from major makers...including a Gerber Freeman in S30V for $90 and a Gerber Gator in ATS54. I really like the looks of the Freeman...

We may have a winner!

S30V in a knife for $90...that's not bad at all. You could skin a bunch of deer before having to sharpen that thing.

<Nitromaniac>
posted
Contact mstarling on this board, have him make you one.