Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom knife makers
 Login/Join

posted
I was wandering who ya'll recommend as decent custom knife makers that won't kill the pocket book. Looking for hunting knife or two, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/View_Menu.asp

A great guy and he makes some fine knifes too.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checking a site like www.bladeforums.com would give you a big choice

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Scott Cook

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have two Ingram knives. D2 steel with bone handles. One drop point and one wharncliff. Gene makes a very solid knife. I invite you to come over to bladeforums. I go by Bobwhite over there too, I found out about here over there and there are many good and helpful people there.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I really like Jay Fisher www.jayfisher.com

He made a custom drop pont for me using a pattern i drew up and the handle is ek antler from a bull I shot. His craftsmanship is the best.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
I really like Jay Fisher www.jayfisher.com

He made a custom drop pont for me using a pattern i drew up and the handle is ek antler from a bull I shot. His craftsmanship is the best.

He is just finishing up a knife I had him make for my wife. He frequently uses gemstone materials for handles and I think it will be very functional and also attractive.

He is using the same handle material as this one that I tried to buy for her, but it had just been sold:

He is quick to respond to questions and very helpful. And yes, I told her she was getting a knife -- do not surprise your wife with something sharp.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You will be very happy with any knife he makes. I am hoping to have him do another one for me some day. And his prices are reasonable.

On the drop point he made for me I went with D2 steel. After having this knife I doubt I will ever get another knife that isnt D2. It holds an edge better than any other knife I have ever owned.

Be sure and tell Jay hi for me next time you talk to him

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will do. I will probably be emailing him tomorrow regarding delivery of the knife.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. on Gene Ingram...nice guy to speak with order two of his knives today a #1 drop point and a short cut... one with bone other with iron wood handle..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:

He must not remember you, because when I mentioned you he said that you are a great guy! sofa

posted Hide Post
I think you will like your Ingrams. Post a review or just let us know what you think when you get them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that David Boye's knives are extremely good, especially from an edge holding point of view. I have several of them and can recommend them highly. I have been making knives since 1980, and have 500 under my belt, but don't sell any now. My retirement is spent shooting and hunting. But, I've learned what to look for in all knives. David's knives are made from Dendritic steel, both stainless and Cobalt. I used one of his blades that I finished, and 8" chef's knife, to cut through 50 pounds of rutabagas. If you've ever cut through one of these tough animals, you know how difficult they are to cut, and make a straight cut through all the way. With his blade, I cut straight through all 50 pounds and never had to touch up the blade. I tried cutting some with two other chef's knives I had made up using regular steel, and could not get a straight cut through with either one. Actually, I couldn't get all the way through one at all. But, with the Boye blade, I made it through with one pass, for the whole 50 pounds. Great testimony to his equally great blades. I've made up about a dozen knives using his steel, and every one is as good as a knife can get from an edge holding point of view. I carry a knife with his steel for all of my hunting. He's in Dolan Springs, AZ. The only other steel that comes close is CPM 440V with its 5.5% Vanadium in it. D-2 is good, but not in the same class as Dendritic.
Don Buckbee

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
DMB, I see you make pasties instead of cutting up venison to test your blades.
Must be a bit south of home, eh?
beer thumb thumb

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe,
I was kidnapped by the Church to make the pasties to sell to make some Money. I should never have let them know I made knives..Smiler Bad mistake on my part.. The pasties were good though. We each got a free one for working.. Too much lard for me...
Don

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pasties were good though.

EekerI hope that's pastries, not pasties! Eeker

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

Nope it`s pasties. They`re a Michigan Yoopper staple, well maybe. They sell alot of `em, and all claim they`re handed down from grandmas` secret recipe.
A old Finn told me rutabaga is the secret ingredient. My grandmother put them in her pasties but told me it was the only way anyone would eat them (rutabaga) and grandpa insisted on growing them so they had to be used. Wink

FYI try this link

http://kenanderson.net/pasties/

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Well, I never pass up the opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks.