THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    How many knives to take hunting? Which ones?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many knives to take hunting? Which ones?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Ok Guys here is the situation:

I bought from Knives of Alaska:
1. Jaeger boning-caping knife (ATS-34)
2. Muskrat (D2)

Now, I fell in love with the Bear Cub- Caping knife (AUS-8A)

That is three knives.

I currently always carry a SAK (Swiss Army Knife). I also just bought a Gerber drop point folding knife (154 CM steel).

Now I have 5 knives total, plus a Wyoming Saw and A Gerber Pack Axe (short version).

In the past, I used only the SAK for everything- caping, boning, gutting etc. and Razor blades for fleshing out cape.

What would you carry on a float/pack moose hunt?
What would you carry on a backpack sheep hunt?
What would you carry on a spot and stalk Elk-deer hunt?

I feel that I now have too many choices - help narrow down my selection to what you would carry from the above.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
I'm the same way - I usually pack more knives then I need, however the last time I was out caribou hunting I used one knife from start to finish: The knife was the Knives of Alaska Yukon Belt double blade. At the end cutting the lower jaw out it finely showed signs of being dull. The K of A Yukon Belt Knife impressed me and now is my favorite skinning and de-boning knife. thumb

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I go hunting the knives I carry are:
-small SAK on my keys
-Victorinox super tinker in a pouch on my belt
-Microtech LCC clipped to my pocket
-Fallkniven F1 in a belt sheath.

The first three are always on me, the Fallkniven I add while in the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the SAK/Leatherman and a clipped to pocket (Benchmade 690) and Fallkniven F1 or H1 (my goto is a F1/3G) combo.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Gerber saw. I can't remember the exact name for it. It comes with replacable blades for trimming small brush and a bonesaw blade. For the money it's a no brainer for carrying in the pack. I went bear hunting in Alaska last year and I was able to quickly trim up my "hide" for best vantage points. I used it just this morning to cut down a 3" tree in my backyard with no problem whatsoever.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Less then 5 lbs of knives Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
IN THE LAST YEAR I HUNTED MOST OF THE TIME SOMETIMES USING THE KNIFE AS A WEAPON ,SO I ONLY TAKE ONE KNIFE A RECON COLD STEEL.I HAVE TO RUN AND WALK A LOT SO I CANOT TAke more knives

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I always have a fixed blade and a folder or a smaler fixed blade. Two knives.

When I hunted with Juan I used a large Cold steel Trailmaster and also had a small 3# EKA folder in my pocket.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brainshot
posted Hide Post
I take a Fallkniven F1, a small saw, that of the Leatherman will do and a folder the last time a Boker withe the Ceratitan blade.
Seems that the Fallkniven is a good choice, since many of you use it.

Posts: 79 | Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote