The Accurate Reloading Forums
How many knives to take hunting? Which ones?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/446101012

17 February 2005, 20:45
CanadianLefty
How many knives to take hunting? Which ones?
Ok Guys here is the situation:

I bought from Knives of Alaska:
1. Jaeger boning-caping knife (ATS-34)
2. Muskrat (D2)

Now, I fell in love with the Bear Cub- Caping knife (AUS-8A)

That is three knives.

I currently always carry a SAK (Swiss Army Knife). I also just bought a Gerber drop point folding knife (154 CM steel).

Now I have 5 knives total, plus a Wyoming Saw and A Gerber Pack Axe (short version).

In the past, I used only the SAK for everything- caping, boning, gutting etc. and Razor blades for fleshing out cape.

What would you carry on a float/pack moose hunt?
What would you carry on a backpack sheep hunt?
What would you carry on a spot and stalk Elk-deer hunt?

I feel that I now have too many choices - help narrow down my selection to what you would carry from the above.
03 April 2005, 06:49
CK
I'm the same way - I usually pack more knives then I need, however the last time I was out caribou hunting I used one knife from start to finish: The knife was the Knives of Alaska Yukon Belt double blade. At the end cutting the lower jaw out it finely showed signs of being dull. The K of A Yukon Belt Knife impressed me and now is my favorite skinning and de-boning knife. thumb

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!
04 April 2005, 10:32
Fumbler
When I go hunting the knives I carry are:
-small SAK on my keys
-Victorinox super tinker in a pouch on my belt
-Microtech LCC clipped to my pocket
-Fallkniven F1 in a belt sheath.

The first three are always on me, the Fallkniven I add while in the field.
02 June 2005, 03:59
small fish
I second the SAK/Leatherman and a clipped to pocket (Benchmade 690) and Fallkniven F1 or H1 (my goto is a F1/3G) combo.
13 June 2005, 09:52
Slatts
Don't forget the Gerber saw. I can't remember the exact name for it. It comes with replacable blades for trimming small brush and a bonesaw blade. For the money it's a no brainer for carrying in the pack. I went bear hunting in Alaska last year and I was able to quickly trim up my "hide" for best vantage points. I used it just this morning to cut down a 3" tree in my backyard with no problem whatsoever.
14 June 2005, 01:14
JefferyDenmark
Less then 5 lbs of knives Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

14 June 2005, 02:54
juanpozzi
IN THE LAST YEAR I HUNTED MOST OF THE TIME SOMETIMES USING THE KNIFE AS A WEAPON ,SO I ONLY TAKE ONE KNIFE A RECON COLD STEEL.I HAVE TO RUN AND WALK A LOT SO I CANOT TAke more knives

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-
15 June 2005, 02:10
JefferyDenmark
I always have a fixed blade and a folder or a smaler fixed blade. Two knives.

When I hunted with Juan I used a large Cold steel Trailmaster and also had a small 3# EKA folder in my pocket.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

17 June 2005, 17:49
brainshot
I take a Fallkniven F1, a small saw, that of the Leatherman will do and a folder the last time a Boker withe the Ceratitan blade.
Seems that the Fallkniven is a good choice, since many of you use it.