New
Find
Notify
Tools

Menefee Made........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A while back on another board and forum, I posted some pix of a few different rifles. Well one thing led to another and I started a PM thread with a fellow. As conversations sometimes due the direction turned to knives. Turns out the fellow I was speaking with was a knifemaker. In the course of our conversations I explained in my limited fashion, what I liked and didn’t like in a “skinning” knife. Well, after some back and forth, this is the result of our conversations. Rick Menefee’s version of a “Bose Drop" Skinner.
His website should you care to peruse his wares.
http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/Rick-Menefee.aspx
Ya know how ya go to a barber shop and you tell the barber how you want your hair cut. Many times it don’t matter cause the barber already knows how he’s gonna cut your hair before you get the apron around your neck. Well that was not the case with this knife. Pretty much exactly as we discussed.
154 CM steel rather than D-2. Black antique micarta scales, tapered with recess for index finger, red liners, thin hollow grind, tapered tang, 4-3/16” handle, 3-5/8” blade. Neither too long or too short. Left hand sheath. Nothing fancy, just to my mind a great interpretation of a “working” skinner.
And as the maker stated “ sharp enough to cut the devil out of ya’”

I told him, no doubt, but it won’t get no cherry!
Best,
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking knife! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That truly could be the "perfect" knife. I make my living as a butcher, and to me a knife is simply a tool. This knife is a step above, knocking on the door of being a work of art! Simple drop-point blade, just the right balance of blade and handle. Should be able to handle anything from butchering to skinning. Nicely done!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Bloody nice!! tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote