Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Knife Maker Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm looking for a recommendation for a custom knife maker that can make a custom copy of a Puma knife I saw (so I can get exactly what I want).

It has a fixed blade, but two additional folding blades - gut hook and saw.

http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com...nd-guthook-P311.aspx

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen multi-bladed fixed blade custom made knives from time to time, but don't recall the makers offhand. I'd suggest you post this on bladeforums and see what responses/recs you get.
As you're probably aware, folding knives take considerably more time and fitting than most equivalent quality fixed blades so you're looking at a fairly expensive knife IMO.

Finally, before you put out the fairly large sum your design will probably take to have made, I'd REALLY suggest that you get one of the Pumas, even if it is not exactly what you want, and try it out for a while. Between having a blade on each end, folding and unfolding, etc (just noticed the excessive cost (again, my opinion) of the Puma so getting one to try out is not worth it) think you might find that having 2 or 3 knives, or two knives and a saw, might be a better solution. Again, personal opinion, and I tried them for a year or two, but gut hooks are an answer to a non-problem in my opinion, UNLESS you're doing many critters at one time, like a dozen hogs or similar where they might save someone who isn't used to doing it some time. In addition, cutting bones on a hanging carcass is a tough job even with a full size bone saw, which we use at our camp. Mini-saw blades such as on that knife are mostly for emergency use IMO. Just my opinion and I'm a firm believer that a man should do what he wants and get what he can afford but there's no use in wasting money on something that really won't do what you want it to do well.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seven hundred dollars for that!

Walmart and others sold a well made knife with the "Winchester" brand on them with a saw blade. They went for about $10.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

link

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I actually have an Trapper - basically a $12 knife with three folding blades - gut hook, saw, and blade. I use it a lot. I don't like the fact that the blade doesn't lock.

I've used the saw in the field many times when I had to get something completely field dressed.

I agree on the Puma that the fixed blade at one end and folders at the other could be odd.

Puma does make a much lower cost locking folder with a blade and saw. Maybe that one would be better: http://www.pumaknives.de/dispi...2.php?item_no=210652

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used the saw in the field many times when I had to get something completely field dressed.

I guess I'm too impatient, given any choice at all, I'd NEVER use one of those mini-saws to field dress an animal. If I don't have a full size saw around, I use a machete or hatchet for the bone cutting.

Everyone has their own methods, but we often don't split the pelvis on pigs or deer, simply cut the hindquarters off, after removing the tenderloin, of course. With a little practice, it is very easy to remove the whole quarter just using your knife with very little meat loss. Done correctly, there is much less chance of coliform contamination IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using my Remington brand Big Game folding knife for years and years and years. The folding saw works extrememly well, and I have never experienced any type of contamination from using it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Thanks. I actually have an Trapper - basically a $12 knife with three folding blades - gut hook, saw, and blade. I use it a lot. I don't like the fact that the blade doesn't lock.

I've used the saw in the field many times when I had to get something completely field
dressed.

I agree on the Puma that the fixed blade at one end and folders at the other could be odd.

Puma does make a much lower cost locking folder with a blade and saw. Maybe that one would be better: http://www.pumaknives.de/dispi...2.php?item_no=210652

Austin-

I am a trapper "fool." I especially like the heavier trappers. Camillus made a lock-back heavy trapper about 15-20 years ago. I used that as a proto-type for one custom and I am trying for a second as we speak.

Andy Mills pulled off the first version. I wish he was back in Texas.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Andy built a lockback folder and a drop point fixed blade knife for me back in about 1996...still my favorite knives. Like you, I wish he would give up on log cabins and start making knives again.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mills for myself on my birthday 15+ yrs ago. Where is Andy these days ?

Posts: 37 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
close?

Posts: 6399 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Red:
I bought a Mills for myself on my birthday 15+ yrs ago. Where is Andy these days ?

Here's a link to what Andy is doing these days...

American Antique Cabins

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote