New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought my brother a Kabar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother, after graduating from Texas A&M and being over halfway to his masters degree decided to enlist in the US Marine Corps. Much to the dismay of his dad (my stepdad).
In any event, I bought him a KaBar knife so that, in the event he required a cutting tool, he'd have one.
I truly believe that the Kabar is one invention that has never been improved upon. They can make them with more gadgets but they can't make them better.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you...I have several knives, and some nice custom ones to boot...In the past 30+ years, when I am hiking, camping, out in the wilderness for any reason, I have my Camillus version of the Kabar on my hip. I carry it in a MKII Navy gray plastic sheath. It has never failed me and done anything I needed to do with it. I even used it to cut and trim carpet when we redid my brother's carpet in his basement. It is an easy knife to sharpen. And the big plus, if something does happen to it, go down to the local outdoor store, plunk down 50 or so bucks and I am back in business. On the other hand my Randall 15, plunk down 400+ and wait 3+ years to get one from Randall, or go to eBay and try and find one for under 700....the choice is easy for me.
You are a great brother. It is wonderful that you give him a gift that may help save his life someday. I wish your brother the best of luck and tell him I admire him greatly for his choice of career.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine still serves me well aftr 30 + years.

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
Enlisted?

Your brother should be an officer. But anyway, nice gift!

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes he should be an officer. However, he got into a bit of trouble in college and has to be enlisted for a year before he can go to OCS. It'll do him some good to be enlisted before he becomes an officer. Sergeants and Chiefs run the military anyway, it will be good for him to learn that first hand.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for the safe completion of his service, however long it may be. I appreciate his choice to serve his country.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
And he will be better as an officer if he has seen the army as a soldier first. Great choice of a knife , this has helped you guys for many years,and will help you for many more.

I have to get one or 5 for my self.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought my 10 year old son a smaller hunting model KABAR. He picked it out of all the knifes to choose from at Gander Mountain.I was very pleased with his choice untill we got home and I discovered it is made in Korea... Is nothing sacred anymore? I was tempted to take it back or just throw it away but he likes it so much he talked me into keeping it.

Posts: 497 | Location: Edgewood, Texas | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the Ka-Bar is "Semper Fi" --

Name derives from some bastardization of "Kill A Bear." I have a USMC Commememorative I picked up at a gun show. Eat your heart out, $30.

This one the leather sheath and tan color leather ring grips. Sheath is marked "USMC."

It's a "collectable." I don't use it.

Local shop has the KaBar in black whatever. I've not looked closely. $50 or $60 I think. But they're "20% Off" right now.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ihave several KaBars i used them for hog hunting and while in service the last its the warthog a present of my friend wilpork

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote