New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom knife maker wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, need a good custom knife maker. Was gonna buy a new factory knife but there way up in price so figured might as well have one custom made. Need pictures if you can. Just basic skinning, butchering,caping knife. Let me know what you can do, about 4 1/2 inch blade. Would like a mahogany handle if possible.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine custom made knife could be cheaper than factory mass produced one.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no comparason between a good custom knife and a factory built knife in quality and cutting.
Tim Olt builds a good cutting knife for the money. I especially like is Loveless patern knife.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more. Now that I have 3 of Lee Baumgarts Knives. I believe he uses steel of 61 Rockwell Hardness. My Global kitchen knives are among the hardest at somewhere around 57.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIs:
There is no comparason between a good custom knife and a factory built knife in quality and cutting.
Tim Olt builds a good cutting knife for the money. I especially like is Loveless patern knife.

I have 6 Tim Olt knives, all are Loveless patterns.

I gave one of his skinners to a friend of mine on the forum.

He isn't the best maker, but he makes a good knife for $200-300 range.

Add another $200-500 to go up much in range with someone else.

His knives cut and are strong.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some good recommendations here. I have a nice Charlie May and a couple from Von Gruff on this forum. Love them all.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote